• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photos needed list as sticky. (2 Viewers)

Andy Hurley

Gotta love nature!
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I don't know if such a list exists, but it might be useful to have a sticky list of all species that require photos of male, female, juvenile and alternate plumages.
I'm sure that many Birdforum members would be willing to upload their excellent images to assist others using Opus as a resource to help identify the birds that they have seen or photographed. I also suggest that Opus be highlighted in this context. It is an excellent and highy important resource in this area.

Another idea I have, which would take many hours of dedicated work to fulfill, is to add information about moult states and migration timetables, information that seems to be lacking in many field guides. I have a great deal to learn, but would volunteer to help with "grunt" work in that capacity.

Your help would be really appreciated Andy, in any form you feel you can add content.

This is the list of articles that do not have an image at all: Missing images. Unfortunately that's the only list we can create at the moment..... I think.

As I go through the articles I search the Gallery for images of the different sexes/ages/subspecies/winter/summer/behaviour (such as flight) etc and glean what information I can from comments made on the pictures to add to the article text.

Articles aren't difficult to edit, it's finding the information to add that is time-consuming! Here's a page showing how the pages are made up with what information goes where etc.

I will go through my own lists (721 species only, but a lot have been photographed) and photos once I have finished sorting my Southern African holiday photos and see if I can add anything. If you need volunteers to do specific tasks, count me in.

Your help would be really appreciated Andy, in any form you feel you can add content.

This is the list of articles that do not have an image at all: Missing images. Unfortunately that's the only list we can create at the moment..... I think.

As I go through the articles I search the Gallery for images of the different sexes/ages/subspecies/winter/summer/behaviour (such as flight) etc and glean what information I can from comments made on the pictures to add to the article text.

Articles aren't difficult to edit, it's finding the information to add that is time-consuming! Here's a page showing how the pages are made up with what information goes where etc.

Looking at the Missing images file and not knowing the rules, as it were, I do notice 2 species from Lord Howe Island are listed which are extinct:
Lord Howe Island Gerygone
Lord Howe Island Swamphen
Do you still hope for images, even though the swamphen became extinct in the 19th century and the gerygone about 80 years ago?

Just wondering!

Allen

LOL We live in hope Allen!!!

I think, in the case of extinct birds, that category would remain until someone was clever enough to perhaps produce some artwork. In some cases, I believe we've photos of museum specimens, which we've been allowed to use.

Do you still hope for images, even though the swamphen became extinct in the 19th century and the gerygone about 80 years ago?

It's also much easier to calculate how many species with pictures we have when we include extinct species in the missing images list;)

André

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back