• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

alexandrovi (alt. alexandrowi) (1 Viewer)

l_raty

laurent raty
The Key:
alexandrovi
Prof. Vasily Georgeivich Alexandrov (1887-1964) Russian botanist, Director of the Botanical Gardens, Tiflis (syn. Delichon urbicum meridionale, subsp. Fringilla coelebs, syn. Panurus biarmicus russicus, syn. Phoenicurus ochruros phoenicuroides).

The eponym dictionary of birds
Alexandrov
Northern House Martin ssp. Delichon urbicum alexandrovi Zarudny, 1916 NCR [JS Delichon urbicum meridionale]
Common Chaffinch ssp. Fringilla coelebs alexandrovi Zarudny, 1916
Bearded Reedling ssp. Panurus biarmicus alexandrovi Zarudny & Bilkevitch, 1916 NCR [JS Panurus biarmicus russicus]
Black Redstart ssp. Phoenicurus ochruros alexandrovi Zarudny, 1918 NCR [JS Phoenicurus ochruros phoenicuroides]
Vasily Georgiyevich Alexandrov (1887–1964) was a Russian botanist who was Director of the Botanical Gardens, Tiflis (Tbilisi, Georgia). He was a Professor (1920) at Tiflis and at Tomsk (1927–1929).

Björn recently reported that Mearns & Mearns 2022 suggested, instead, that a "Russian museum worker and field collector" named "Sergey Alexandrovich Alexandrov (1878-1942)" was the dedicatee.

• Chelidon urbica alexandrovi Zarudnyy 1916 [OD]
Даю ей названіе Chelidon urbica alexandrovi по имени бывшаго моего препаратора С. А. Александрова, очень много помогавшаго мнѣ въ орнитологическихъ сборахъ по Персіи, Белючистану и Туркестану.
= "I give it the name Chelidon urbica alexandrovi after my former preparator S. A. Aleksandrov, who helped me a lot in ornithological collections in Persia, Beluchistan and Turkestan."

• Fringilla coelebs alexandrovi Zarudnyy 1916 [OD] (p. 228)
I see no dedication.

• Panurus biarmicus alexandrovi Zarudnyy & Bil'kevich 1916 [OD]
Обозначаемъ эту новую форму усатой синицы названіемъ "Panurus biarmicus alexandrovi" и ея типомъ считаемъ экземпляръ , добытый 19. Х. 1914 на Атрекѣ.
= "We designate this new form of the bearded tit by the name "Panurus biarmicus alexandrovi" and consider its type to be the specimen obtained on 19. X. 1914 at Atrek."
I see no dedication, and the collector of the type specimen is not indicated.

• Phoenicurus rufiventris alexandrowi/alexandrovi Bil'kevich & Zarudnyy 1918 [OD]
Both spellings are used -- alexandrowi first on p. 40, alexandrovi on p. 50, 54, 55, 56, and 57.
Again, I see no dedication. However, the preface/introduction (p. 37) includes the following sentence:
С. Билькевичъ весною нынѣшняго 1917 г. , совмѣстно съ препараторомъ Закаспійскаго музея C. Александровымъ, посѣтилъ эти горы во всѣхъ ихъ поясахъ и собралъ бо гатые матеріалы по зоологіи и ботаникѣ.
= "S. Bil'kevich in the spring of this year 1917, together with the preparator of the Transcaspian Museum S. Aleksandrov, visited these mountains in all their belts and collected rich materials on zoology and botany."

=> In one case, we have an explicit dedication to a preparator named "S. A. Aleskandrov". In another case, although a dedication seems lacking, we have an allusion to a preparator at the Transcaspian Museum named "S. Aleksandrov". Although no additional information is present in the two other works, it is probably reasonable to assume that the same person was intended.
These data are in any case not consistent with Vasiliy Georgievich Aleksandrov (1887-1964) being the dedicatee and, although I have so far not seen direct evidence confirming the given name, patronymic and dates, would be consistent with Mearns & Mearns' "Russian museum worker and field collector" Sergey Aleksandrovich Aleksandrov (1878-1942).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back