• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D200 Optimum fast focus settings (1 Viewer)

Dougie

Hi Just wondering what the optimum settings in the custom focusing settings menu on a D200 that would give the fastest focusing for tracking birds in flight?.

Thanks in advance Dougie

I'm not familiar with the D200 but the greatest aid to focussing I ever found was to map focussing to the AE/AF lock button... CSM menu AE-L/AF-L = AF.
Then set CSM menu Autofocus = AFC.
What happens is that you use your thumb to focus with the AE/AF button and just meter with the shutter button - no half pressing nonsense - I shoot from the back of a bike and half pressing doesn't work.
With the thumb it's much easier to track things and if you find a bird sat on a tree you thumb press once, release, any further shots will already be in focus as the shutter button doesn't engage focus.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back