• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ethiopia--Awash NP nightjars (1 Viewer)

jstanleyg

Hello, I was in Awash NP in Ethiopia's rift valley yesterday and the day before. We did a bit of night birding, and ran into a tour guide who was showing his clients two separate nightjars. He ID'd them as Star-spotted (first two photos) and Nubian (second two photos).

I've been looking at my guide and the photos and I highly doubt that we saw a Star-spotted. I'm not an expert at nightjar identification to be sure, but I'm not even sure they are separate species, though the first bird does look darker overall than the second. The patterning is very similar between the two birds. The second bird seems to have longer primary projection, but that could be a result of two different camera angles. Nubian looks like a possibility as well as European nightjar.

What do you think? Are they two separate species and which species do you think they are?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4905 (2).jpg
    IMG_4905 (2).jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4907 (2).jpg
    IMG_4907 (2).jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4916 (2).JPG
    IMG_4916 (2).JPG
    276.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4918 (2).JPG
    IMG_4918 (2).JPG
    268.8 KB · Views: 8
Yes, thank you! I just compared to other photos of Slender-tailed, and that looks right. I wonder if I should email this tour company or just leave it alone. :p

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back