• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sri Lanka - Yala National Park - 27 Dec (2 Viewers)

yashar1981yr

dears

please help me to ID these birds

The first two photos are from one Nightjar that I'm not sure is Indian or jungle?

second, there is an eagle which I would like to know, is it a Grey-headed Fish-Eagle?

Attachments

• IMG_4377.jpg
    IMG_4377.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4380.jpg
    IMG_4380.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1873.jpg
    IMG_1873.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
Grey-headed fish eagle is correct; the nightjar looks quite stocky, and I think that it has a long primary projection which reaches the tail tip which would suggest Jungle (indicus) over Indian (asiaticus). It also looks quite grey and cold toned which would favour Jungle over Indian, but I'm always nervous interpreting colour in Nightjars!
The combination of pale grey scapular patch + orange at rear of auriculars (just visible) confirm it as Jungle as Daniel suggests.

Grahame

Users who are viewing this thread

Back