• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham ,Butterflies, Moths and Dragonflies. (2 Viewers)

A few more from Sunday night.

Attachments

• _MG_3497.JPG
    _MG_3497.JPG
    230.8 KB · Views: 201
  • _MG_3534.JPG
    _MG_3534.JPG
    295.9 KB · Views: 188
  • _MG_3577.JPG
    _MG_3577.JPG
    201 KB · Views: 195
  • _MG_3688.JPG
    _MG_3688.JPG
    223.5 KB · Views: 200
  • _MG_3740.JPG
    _MG_3740.JPG
    282.6 KB · Views: 185
I am coming to Seahouses next week for a fortnights holiday. Does anyone know if Large Heath are still on the wing. If so, can anyone advise of sites that I could try.
Hi there they should be still on the wing.There's Craig Lough and Sweethope Lough areas which are supposed to be good sites to see them.I haven't been to those sites.

Testo's pool was a bit quiet this afternoon because of the cloudy weather but saw plenty of the usual damselfies just a single FS Chaser.Big increase of the number of Common Darters from my last visit.Butterflies seen Small Skipper 8,Large Skipper 1,Small Tort 3 and 5 Meadow Browns.

The small patch again this lunchtime had,

Meadow Brown X1
Ringlet X1

and at least 8 Whites, some large but some that appeared significantly smaller so i'm thinking maybe Small whites as they didnt look like Green Viened but nobody seems to mention small whites much so I'm not sure how common they are round here.

Also when I got back to work there was a Marbled Beauty on the shop door.

Last edited:
The small patch again this lunchtime had,

Meadow Brown X1
Ringlet X1

and at least 8 Whites, some large but some that appeared significantly smaller so i'm thinking maybe Small whites as they didnt look like Green Viened but nobody seems to mention small whites much so I'm not sure how common they are round here.

Also when I got back to work there was a Marbled Beauty on the shop door.
Hi Adam Small Whites are very common just as common as Large Whites.They can be a bit of a pest in veg gardens.I sometimes see Marbled Beauty in the garden.

Hi Adam Small Whites are very common just as common as Large Whites.They can be a bit of a pest in veg gardens.I sometimes see Marbled Beauty in the garden.

Thanks Martin, I've always been under the impression that was the case but I just wondered if i was perhaps mistaken as i havent seen many other people mentioning them much just Large and Green veined.

Went on a Dark -green Fritillary hunt this morning to Waskerley the weather wasn't ideal mostly cloudy,breezy and a few bright spells but i managed to see one DG Frit.Other butterflies seen

Ringlet 30+
Small Tort 5
Meadow Brown 3
Small Skipper 20+

Just come back in from the garden i had quick look at the 2 Buddleias which are now coming into flower and saw Meadow Brown,Small Tort ,Large and Small White.But best of all a Common Darter was flying round the garden.That is 3 yrs running i've seen one in the garden.

Last edited:
west pastures the last few days, barn owl every night it wasnt stotting down.
little owl, hobby.
family of lt tits, covey of partridge, curlew and lapwings.

Attachments

• 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 213
A few moths from the garden last night.

Dark Spinach, LargeYellow Underwing, Burnished Brass, Scalloped Oak and Great Oak Beauty or maybe Willow Beauty.
I think.

Attachments

• _MG_3795.JPG
    _MG_3795.JPG
    267.9 KB · Views: 202
  • _MG_3870.JPG
    _MG_3870.JPG
    242.5 KB · Views: 208
  • _MG_4010.JPG
    _MG_4010.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 209
  • _MG_4056.JPG
    _MG_4056.JPG
    245.9 KB · Views: 204
  • _MG_4118.JPG
    _MG_4118.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
A few moths from the garden last night.

Dark Spinach, LargeYellow Underwing, Burnished Brass, Scalloped Oak and Great Oak Beauty or maybe Willow Beauty.
I think.
Hi Ray the last one looks like Willow Beauty to me.Burnished Brass are cracking moths one of my favourites.

Butterflies are both beautiful and vital to the health of our environment.

Their survival is crucial yet they are in serious decline.

Be part of the big butterfly count from the 24th July to the 1st of August this year and help us gather information to save them.

Just find a place where you might see butterflies, such as a garden or park, and count the different butterflies you see in just 15 minutes. You can make counts in several places during the week.

Submit your sightings at www.bigbutterflycount.org and you'll receive 10 per cent off plants when you shop online at M&S. *

Butterflies are disappearing fast and we can’t help them without your support.

See the website for details.

Please forward this email to your friends of relatives - the more people who join in, the more accurate a picture we can build of our changing butterflies.

Thank you

*Terms and conditions apply. See www.marksandspencer.com/offers for details.

Lou Keeling
Senior Publicity Officer
[email protected]
Join the big butterfly count and help us take the pulse of nature 24 July – 1 August at www.bigbutterflycount.org

Butterfly Conservation
Manor Yard
East Lulworth
Wareham
Dorset BH20 5QP
Tel Direct: 01929 406005. Tel Reception: 01929 400209 Fax: 01929 400210
Company limited by guarantee, registered in England (2206468). Charity registered in England & Wales (254937) and in Scotland (SCO39268)*************************************************************************
Butterfly Conservation is dedicated to saving butterflies, moths and the environment. If you would like further information please view our website at <<http://www.butterfly-conservation.org/>>
Over 40 years of saving butterflies, moths and their habitats

Iv'e had a cracking day for butterflies 15 species seen.Went to Kibblesworth this morning and saw 9+ Purple Hairstreaks three of them showed reasonably well.But most of the time they were flying near the tops of the trees.Other butterflies seen

Common Blue 3
Ringlet 6+
Meadow Brown 10+
Small Tort 6
Small Heath 26
Grayling 1
Large White
GV White
Small White
Small Skipper 6
Specked Wood 1
Peacock 1

And back in the garden this afternoon the Buddleias are now attracting more butterflies saw
Small Tort 5
Comma 1
Red Admiral 1
GV White 1
Small White several
Large White several

colliery woods 7am lots of large and small whites on some yellow flowers (not ragwort).
testos pond loads and loads of damsenflies and dragonflies near the road.
i was looking for the missing sygnet, only 6 left now :(

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back