• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

September butterflies. (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
Probably a month too early for 'last butterfly of the year' but already a downturn in variety/numbers, for me in Cornwall at least. The garden Gatekeeper colony long gone - we've also had a few weeks of bad weather.

1st September - Speckled Wood and 2+ Large White in the garden, Meadow Brown in a garden I was working in, several more Speckled Wood out and about.
2nd September - More Speckled Wood, Large White, unidentified whites in flight, and up at the field 2x Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell, Common Blue briefly and more Speckled Woods (nice and fresh).

Last edited:
Had my first and only patch Small Copper on the 1st. Not noticed a downturn locally (Kent) yet...

Attachments

• IMG_20230901_161118_MP~2.jpg
    IMG_20230901_161118_MP~2.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Numbers declining but plenty still around. In the last couple of days have had Large, Small & Green-veined White, Brimstone, Red Admiral, Comma, Meadow Brown, Speckled Wood, Small Heath, Holly, Chalkhill & Adonis Blues, Brown Argus & Silver-spotted Skipper. I know Small Copper & Common Blue are still about locally but haven't seen one this myself since the end of August.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back