• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

YOU'R bird feeding stations/feeders! (1 Viewer)

wildlifelove

Hopefully Birding...
Hi ALL!

Has anyone got any photo's of there feeding stations or feeders?
Or them in Action!
The gallery only seems to have photos of just the bird! and not them feeding so..Thought we could open a thread where you can post photo's of your feeders ect and birds using them

Boy, I never really took a picture with the intent of showing my feeders, but let's see what I've got in the archives.........

Ah.....here's some

Pic 1: Here we have a nuthatch, pondering which of the few remaining seeds he'd like to eat from one of several tray feeders.

Pic 2: Here's a flock of blackbirds of sorts, that decended on my raised tray.

Pic 3: A bluejay tosses a piece of corn down the hatch on this cob holder that I mounted at the base of my feeder set up.

Pic 4: Here is one of my favorites, a red-bellied woodpecker indulging in some sunflower seeds. I do have a much closer pic of him if interested.

Pic 5: Here we have a cardinal seeking a dry spot to eat on a rainy day. Too bad for the bad hair day though....

Attachments

• DSCF0102.JPG
    DSCF0102.JPG
    276.7 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCF0118.JPG
    DSCF0118.JPG
    343.1 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCF0143.JPG
    DSCF0143.JPG
    340 KB · Views: 129
  • DSCF0146.JPG
    DSCF0146.JPG
    271.9 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCF0191.JPG
    DSCF0191.JPG
    232.2 KB · Views: 115
Wow Joe those are amazing pics! I was lucky enough to watch cardinals and humming birds feeding in Canada in the summer - fantastic! I also saw the humming birds flying into and out of a maple tree but lost sight of them while they were in there.

Pic 6: Now we have a bluejay, my favorite I might add, also seeking some shelter and food on the same rainy day.

Pic 7: Here is a shot of a mess of mourning doves and some out of place cowbirds (out of range in winter here) last week, eating from my homemade roofed ground feeder.

Pic 8: Not really a feeder, but here we have a dastardly crow, looking to soak his lunch in my bird bath.

Pic 9: Well, I forgot to plug in the heated bird bath, so the crow left his lunch for warmer times.

Pic 10: This is one of my rose-breasted grosbeaks, having a snack at a large tube feeder.

Attachments

• DSCF0193.JPG
    DSCF0193.JPG
    256.7 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF0198.JPG
    DSCF0198.JPG
    257 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCF0182.JPG
    DSCF0182.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCF0183.JPG
    DSCF0183.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF0116.JPG
    DSCF0116.JPG
    211.3 KB · Views: 108
Pic 6: Now we have a bluejay, my favorite I might add, also seeking some shelter and food on the same rainy day.

Pic 7: Here is a shot of a mess of mourning doves and some out of place cowbirds (out of range in winter here) last week, eating from my homemade roofed ground feeder.

Pic 8: Not really a feeder, but here we have a dastardly crow, looking to soak his lunch in my bird bath.

Pic 9: Well, I forgot to plug in the heated bird bath, so the crow left his lunch for warmer times.

Pic 10: This is one of my rose-breasted grosbeaks, having a snack at a large tube feeder.

Again some very good photo's keep them coming!

Those are so fantastic - thanks for posting them! Your feeders are really well made - I'm itching to have a go at making a raised table now!

I'll make sure and take more photos of feeding birds. I was always under the idea people liked more natural photos, minus feeders and human items. I'm glad you guys like them as much as I do.

As for my feeders, yes, I'd like to think they are well built, because I made them! I make all my own feeders and mounts, as commercially made ones are expensive, and poorly built. I do of course have a few tube feeders and suet cages that I bought. As for the table/tray feeders, I have noticed over the years that about 9 out of 10 birds that show up here go right to them, so I have several of them. We also get a lot of snow here, hence the roofed feeders.

Ok, I dug up some more.

Pic 1: A common grackle, which I love because they eat june beetles.

Pic 2: Another gaggle of blackbirds

Pic 3: A black-capped chickadee on the trusty peanut feeder.

Pic 4: I sneaked up on the gray squirrel and got a good close shot, as he scarfs down my sunflower seed.

Pic 5: Then, he decided not to even bother going home, instead he just went to sleep in the tree.

Attachments

• DSCF0023.JPG
    DSCF0023.JPG
    363.4 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF0026.JPG
    DSCF0026.JPG
    313 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCF0125.JPG
    DSCF0125.JPG
    332.5 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCF0108.JPG
    DSCF0108.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCF0166.JPG
    DSCF0166.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 77
Great idea for a thread. I'll have to try to get some photos this weekend. My feeders hang from the tree in our front yard so right now they have snowflake lights hanging around them. It doesn't seem to bother the birds one bit. :t:

CindyB

Thanks everyone there is so many photo's of just birds! i thought we could share photo's of are what are work does for the birds!

Thanks! SOZ about me having no photo's the P.C anit letting me upload

I think it's a brilliant idea - we feed birds because we like to see them and watch their behaviour so what could be better than pics of them feeding? Also gives us great ideas! I can't hope to match Joe's fantastic pics, and I haven't got any of birds actually feeding (there are goldfinches in the summer one but it's such a rubbish picture you can't see them very well!)

The winter one is actually last year's... this year the neighbour at the back whose chimney you can just see saw fit to thin out the wild rose bushes that serve as a hedge between us, making it harder for the sparrows to use them as a hang out and difficult for me to take pics without displaying his house!

Attachments

• goldfinches.jpg
    goldfinches.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 124
  • summer 2009 compressed.jpg
    summer 2009 compressed.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 113
  • winter 2009 compressed.jpg
    winter 2009 compressed.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Oops have to do a new post to add more pics! Here are this year's.... no birds yet, I've disturbed them too much putting morning food out and taking pics!

The main feeder has nyger seed and sunflower hearts, and the smaller ones on the buddliea bush have peanuts and cashews (unsalted) and sunflower hearts.

On the ground are suet balls, raisins, cake (come on pied wagtail!!) and digestive biscuits. It's all widely scattered so everyone can get in for a peck at some point.

Attachments

• christmas eve 2010 005.JPG
    christmas eve 2010 005.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 89
  • christmas eve 2010 013.JPG
    christmas eve 2010 013.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 110
Oops have to do a new post to add more pics! Here are this year's.... no birds yet, I've disturbed them too much putting morning food out and taking pics!

The main feeder has nyger seed and sunflower hearts, and the smaller ones on the buddliea bush have peanuts and cashews (unsalted) and sunflower hearts.

On the ground are suet balls, raisins, cake (come on pied wagtail!!) and digestive biscuits. It's all widely scattered so everyone can get in for a peck at some point.

Love the photo's...And a nice station! and stunning garden!

Love the photo's...And a nice station! and stunning garden!

Thanks wild! I've worked hard to make this corner (the bit in the photos, and the bit I can see from my dining room/study) really nice for birds, so I have a small fishless pond (under the bamboo), a wild hedge (as much as I can get it that way, there's still a stand of privet to cover neighbours' windows but I'm slowly turning it into bramble, wild rose and ivy).

The sparrows love the bamboo almost as much as the wild rose. They roost in it in summer - I had a lovely time clearing duckweed from the pond one summer twilight with the sparrows tweeting sleepily at me and rustling around in the bamboo above my head! They use it as a launch for the feeders at the moment.

The rest of the garden needs a lot of work... but slowly and gently does it :t:

I like the thick hedge you have there.....I worked on planting this past summer, trying to make a nice hedge like that. So far I've only got some native vibernums for the berries, but they grow pretty big. I've also planted 18 trees in the past 5 years as well, but they just don't grow fast enough! Slowly but surely, things are coming around. I also turned an unused area of my yard into future "woods", basically a small area with lots of trees and bushes that I don't keep prim and proper. So far, they are liking it. I am anxious to see some pics of feeding birds over by you guys, because obviously they are different types of birds.

I wish I could post some pics of birds feeding but I have a lot to learn about taking photos - they don't come out well at all.

I'm no photographer myself. I just have a point and shoot camera with 18x optical zoom. I point at what I want a picture of, half push the button, it auto focuses, and then I push the button the rest of the way. Presto! Instant good picture! My key to not sppoking them varies. I have a sliding patio door which I keep the glass very clean, incase I need to take a picture through it, otherwise, I quietly slide the door open a bit to take pictures. Other times, I simply take a seat outside, and sit very quiet and still and just wait for the right moment. If you spend enough time outside, your birds will become quite used to your presence, and allow you some good close-ups. My favorite picture, and a good example of getting close, is this one of a red-bellied woodpecker. This picture was taken from about 3 feet away (1 meter).

Attachments

• DSCF0150.JPG
    DSCF0150.JPG
    246.5 KB · Views: 68
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back