• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular or Spotting Scope??? (1 Viewer)

stereotruckdriver

I'm considering getting a 15x70mm Binocular? Naturally will mount on tri-pod, just curious if anyone has user reports on them? And when would you chose to use them over a Spotting Scope? Other formats I'm considering are, 20x60, 15x58, etc. Bryce...

Hi Bryce,
I would never choose a large pair of bin's, which have to be tripod mounted, over a good quality scope.

Neil.

Hi Bryce,
I would never choose a large pair of bin's, which have to be tripod mounted, over a good quality scope.

Neil.

Neil, I guess I should have been more specific. I have a couple of scopes, my use would be stationary off of my deck over looking the Lake and Pacific Ocean. I would never attempt to cart something this bulky into the field. It would be more casual, recreational use from home, Thanks. Bryce...

As you are thinking of a stationary position with the set-up then maybe it isn't such a no-no after all. I was assuming, like Neil, that you were going to be taking the set-up into the field. I'd still prefer the higher mags possible with a scope, even with a stationary set-up.

'Is a no-no', slang for 'it's not a very good thing to do'

if you are going to be stationary and using a tripod anyway then i cant see any advantages of large bins over a scope.

As you are thinking of a stationary position with the set-up then maybe it isn't such a no-no after all. I was assuming, like Neil, that you were going to be taking the set-up into the field. I'd still prefer the higher mags possible with a scope, even with a stationary set-up.

'Is a no-no', slang for 'it's not a very good thing to do'

Gotcha! Thanks Keith! Bryce...

Neil, I guess I should have been more specific. I have a couple of scopes, my use would be stationary off of my deck over looking the Lake and Pacific Ocean. I would never attempt to cart something this bulky into the field. It would be more casual, recreational use from home, Thanks. Bryce...

Bryce,
Sounds like a good view, I would go with the 20x60 bins, especially looking out over the ocean.

Cheers, Neil.

For the use you describe (read: mostly stationary), big bins are great for the sheer comfort factor. Two eyes are always better than one. The problem is the view. Chroma is quite an issue with these things unless you spring for very expensive ED or fluorite models. Looking off at long distances are OK too with them but when something comes closer the individual focus won't be so great. Of course magnification will be limited as well, compared to a scope unless you get a bin with interchangeable EPs or just high power like a Kowa Highlander.

Probably the best bang for the buck are the Minox 15x58s at CameraLand for <$600. They're also center focus! If money is no object then the Kowa Highlander Prominars would be my choice. Get a big tripod and head to go with 'em.

Bottom line is you'll have to spend some serious money for bins that come close to the quality of view through a good spotting scope.

One of the sound pieces of advice I´ve been given, but have so far ignored, when I´ve looked for a "two-eyes/high-mag" solution, is to get a pair of Canon IS 18x50 binoculars. Search the threads on these, KorHaan and Hinnark are very happy with theirs.

I'm considering getting a 15x70mm Binocular? ...

Separate and apart from that vs something else, if you want to read alot of comparisons between different 15x70 models; go to this link:
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/binoculars

The site's binocular review sections will also provide information. It is an amateur astronomy site and probably the best gear reviews/discussions around. 15x70 class binos are very popular in the astro crowd.

For the use you describe (read: mostly stationary), big bins are great for the sheer comfort factor. Two eyes are always better than one. The problem is the view. Chroma is quite an issue with these things unless you spring for very expensive ED or fluorite models. Looking off at long distances are OK too with them but when something comes closer the individual focus won't be so great. Of course magnification will be limited as well, compared to a scope unless you get a bin with interchangeable EPs or just high power like a Kowa Highlander.

Probably the best bang for the buck are the Minox 15x58s at CameraLand for <$600. They're also center focus! If money is no object then the Kowa Highlander Prominars would be my choice. Get a big tripod and head to go with 'em.

Bottom line is you'll have to spend some serious money for bins that come close to the quality of view through a good spotting scope.

Kevin, I just looked at the Minox you refered to. Looks like a good deal. I kinda figured it wasn't going to be a cheap venture. ;) Sancho gave sound advice to, never thought about IS for what I want? I just liked the idea of being able to use both eye's at home, more relaxing. We have Bald Eagle nest across the lake and enjoy watching them as well. That's kinda what started this. I'm 6'2" wife is 5'5" maybe?!!! Lol! We were using seperate scopes but, she get's fatigued and loses interest! I know when I'm out and about using scope and bino's I get pretty fatigued switching between the two. I know the term BIG EYES has really taken off in the hunting community and has been a staple in the Astro field for some time. So in practice it seems like a good concept! Bryce...

I'm considering getting a 15x70mm Binocular? Naturally will mount on tri-pod, just curious if anyone has user reports on them? And when would you chose to use them over a Spotting Scope? Other formats I'm considering are, 20x60, 15x58, etc. Bryce...

For distance viewing, I think giant binoculars (15x70 and larger) are better for viewing over lengthy periods of time--less strain on the eyes. Although using an eye patch over one eye does seem to help somewhat with viewing at the scope for lengthy periods of time.

Another advantage of giant binoculars is they tend to be porro prism binoculars that deliver 3-D views, which scopes do not provide.

As mentioned previously, there are many giant binocular reviews over at the Cloudy Nights Binocular forum. You can also get some opinions of giant binoculars at the 24hourcampfire optics forum.

As for me, I like both giant binoculars and spotting scopes.

...Bob
Kentucky, USA

Last edited:
Well just bought a Pentax PCF WP II 20x60. If this works I will want to get something with better image quality. Which takes me to my next question! Does anyone have experience with this model? I have the 8x40 WP II had the 7x50 WP. Granted these are 20x but, should I expect similiar performance? This is all new for me never had glass over 10x in a Binocular before? Don't know what to expect? Bryce...

Keep in mind that Astro viewers have dissimilar expectations when it comes to bin performance. CA doesn't seem to be an issue (for just one example). Still a wealth of knowledge to be had there.

Keep in mind that Astro viewers have dissimilar expectations when it comes to bin performance. CA doesn't seem to be an issue (for just one example). Still a wealth of knowledge to be had there.

Exactly.

Chroma, color rendition, distortion, focus, water-proofness, flare resistance, stray light entering the EP, are a few things that the star observer has less concern with. Lunar observing deals with some of these.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back