• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Choosing my first spotting scope, budget around 1000€ (2 Viewers)

raconma

Spain
Hi I'm new in the spotting scope's world. I have being doing a research and Kite sp 82 seems like a nice telescope in this budget. I've seen that it has two eyepieces 25-50x and 20-60x, but I don't know which one is better. If anyone can help me choosing between the two eyepieces or if anyone could send me any other recommendations around this budget I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

first of all, welcome to BF!

I would strongly recommend to get the ED version if it is possible. I would rather save up for a few months or get sth used.
If you insist on the non-ed version, which will show image degradation beyond 35 or 40x due to... physics (longitudinal chromatic aberration to be precise), the 25-50x wide angle zoom will be a lot better than the 20-60x regular one in the absence of a 30x wide fixed EP, which is the best option for non-ED full size scopes.

Joachim

The 25-50x indeed has a much larger FOV than the 20-60x. It's a good eyepiece, but a.o. with some more distortion than I'm used to. (Not a huge issue. Mainly noticeable when panning, or if the background is some building/straight lines.) You could always 'upgrade' later to the 25-50x from Swarovski if you would want to. (I have the Kite SP82ED and Swarovski eyepieces fit on it, without adapter. To be checked, but I assume that should still be the case. They don't fit the KSP80HD though.)
The SP82 and SP82ED also have a different optical design, as the SP82 is longer than the SP82ED.
Opticron also has very good scopes on that price range, new or second hand (MM3 or MM4 50, 60 or 77mm).
I don't know where you live,but if there is a shop nearby, it would be worth for you to try them before buying.
Or wait for some good second hand offer.

Thanks for all the recommendations!
Yeah, I think I'm going to go to the store to try them out. Also, it's a good idea to start with kite eyepiece and later upgrade to the swarovski's one, I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks for all the recommendations!
Yeah, I think I'm going to go to the store to try them out. Also, it's a good idea to start with kite eyepiece and later upgrade to the swarovski's one, I'll keep it in mind.
I don't know which country our region you live in, but maybe there is also a place (popular nature reserve) or group (nature association) nearby where you could easily meet some fellow birdwatchers who would let you try out what they have in "real life".

I live in Madrid, Spain. Here there are a lot of people with good telescopes but people tend to have or really expensive ones or really old spotting scopes

Both eyepieces for the Kite SP 82 spotting scope offer different magnification ranges, allowing you to adjust the zoom level based on your observation needs. Here's a brief comparison to help you choose between them:

1. 25-50x Eyepiece: This eyepiece provides a variable magnification range from 25x to 50x. The lower magnification range (25x) offers a wider field of view, making it suitable for scanning large areas and tracking moving subjects. As you increase the magnification to 50x, you can observe distant objects in more detail, making it ideal for birdwatching, wildlife observation, and detailed observation of distant targets.
  2. 20-60x Eyepiece: This eyepiece offers a wider magnification range from 20x to 60x. Similar to the 25-50x eyepiece, the lower magnification (20x) provides a wider field of view for scanning landscapes and locating subjects. As you increase the magnification to 60x, you can observe distant objects with higher detail, making it suitable for detailed observation of wildlife, target shooting, and observing distant objects such as ships or landmarks.

Other options are a second hand alpha (Kowa or Swaro or Zeiss), if you find one in that price bracket, or an Opticron MM4 77 or MM4 60, depending on your reach/weight preference.

What I found is that in addition to image quality, ultimately the decision comes down to size/weight vs reach vs field of view, but the only way to find out what your preference is is by using them!

I first started with an Opticron MM3 60 which I still have...really good for the price. Then I bought second hand a bigger Opticron (80) body which I use with the same eyepice for when I want more reach/light. Very good performance too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back