• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Summer Plumaged Spoon-billed Sandpiper, please. (1 Viewer)

Only 250 years since its discovery and we are starting to learn something about it thanks to Christoph Zockler and people like David Sibley.
Yes, I just wish I had that level of perception and eye for detail when watching a rare bird (or any bird ;))...

Richard

Last edited:
Yes, I just wish I had that level of perception and eye for detail when watching a rare bird (or any bird ;))...

Richard

I know what you mean. And usually, when birding abroad, there is so much that is new that I can often get caught up in moving from one new species to the next. I forget to stop and enjoy the one that's in front of me. If ever I am lucky enough to catch up with a spooner I will make sure I enjoy the moment and take in as much as I can.

Ken

In mid-December 2009 I was taken to see the SB Sand and we spent over an hour looking for one, eventually we found 3 individuals.

The guide said that in 2008 he had at least 17 sightings, in 2009 - the 3 we had pushed his sightings to 5 for the year.

Bangladesh

Yet more well-deserved attention...
...first report (from Sayam Chowdhury, on OrientalBirding today):

Dear all,
I am extremely delighted to let you know that we found a minimum of 25 Spoon-billed Sandpipers last week at Sonadia Island (in addition to other rare wader species including 24 Nordmann's Greenshanks and over 450 Great Knots). We are planning to visit several more potential SBS sites along the Bengal coast in the coming days of this month long SBS search.
Kind Regards,
Jez Bird, Alex Lee & Sayam Chowdhury
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Richard

Very good news- of course with Spoonie there's always something to worry about: Sonadia Island is the subject of a giant deepwater harbour project. Not something that will be lightly modified or discontinued. See for example this from Bangladesh Ministry:

“If we can implement the deep seaport project at Sonadia Island in time and maintain the standard of service we may expect a new Singapore within Bangladesh,” he said, adding that the deep seaport might be a major vehicle of economic development of Bangladesh."

...first report (from Sayam Chowdhury, on OrientalBirding today):

Dear all,
I am extremely delighted to let you know that we found a minimum of 25 Spoon-billed Sandpipers last week at Sonadia Island (in addition to other rare wader species including 24 Nordmann's Greenshanks and over 450 Great Knots). We are planning to visit several more potential SBS sites along the Bengal coast in the coming days of this month long SBS search.
Kind Regards,
Jez Bird, Alex Lee & Sayam Chowdhury
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Richard

Great News - a much more optimistic number than I was expecting, especially so early in the trip. Also reported here, for those that don't subscribe to OBN, though in typical PB style! - http://punkbirder.webs.com/latestsightings.htm

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back