• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with IOC splits (1 Viewer)

Oriolus chinensis split

After all that, just noticed that IOC yesterday retracted the split of O chinensis from the draft V2.6 updates, to "await full resolution of complex (Rheindt 2010)".
Arrangement of the ssp of the chinensis group is definitely premature and the reason why it should not be taken up - I wouldn't be surprised if the Wallacean taxa more closely related to the Philippine birds than the Sundaic taxa.
But perhaps it would still be reasonable to at least split migratory mainland O (c) diffusus...?

Richard

Last edited:
Hi Richard,

I'm always hesitant about making a singe split when we know there are more in the pipeline within the complex, just a bit of patience required. Best just waiting for all the ssp to be analysed and then confirm the splits - all it means is dealing that extra tick a little bit longer!

Asian taxonomy is slowly gripping forward at last...

Cheers,

James

Hi Richard,
I'm always hesitant about making a singe split when we know there are more in the pipeline within the complex, just a bit of patience required. Best just waiting for all the ssp to be analysed and then confirm the splits - all it means is dealing that extra tick a little bit longer!
James, I agree that ideally it's preferable to have a full understanding of relationships within a species complex before making any splits. But there are cases where complexes are being broken down over time, by gradually splitting away outlying forms with the progressive availability of new evidence: Oceanodroma castro, Lanius excubitor (bad example!), Aphelocoma coerulescens, Pica pica, Troglodytes troglodytes... In principle, I think it's acceptable to split off part of a species if clearly warranted, even if relationships within the remaining element are not yet fully understood.

[But I don't claim any expertise in the case of Oriolus chinensis/tenuirostris - and sadly, it wouldn't deliver me a tick, as I've only seen diffusus.]

Richard

Last edited:
Hi Ben,

I think you can have enough data when you have a reasonable sample size of either all known taxa of the complex or at least taxa from each region to give an accurate assessment - it would make for very poor science if you just looked at half of a species range and then just decided to lump one region of taxa with another without any justification (ie putting the Wallacean group of the oriole with the Sundaic birds when they more closely resemble Philippine birds in morpholgy and probably vocally).

I agree you should only work with what you do know - but that's the point, they don't know anything about the Wallacean birds so it is best left unchanged for now pending further study, surely?

Cheers,

James

Oriolus chinensis split

I think you can have enough data when you have a reasonable sample size of either all known taxa of the complex or at least taxa from each region to give an accurate assessment - it would make for very poor science if you just looked at half of a species range and then just decided to lump one region of taxa with another without any justification (ie putting the Wallacean group of the oriole with the Sundaic birds when they more closely resemble Philippine birds in morpholgy and probably vocally).

I agree you should only work with what you do know - but that's the point, they don't know anything about the Wallacean birds so it is best left unchanged for now pending further study, surely?
I agree that it would be premature to divide the island populations into just two species in the absence of data for most of the sspp (including the Wallacean birds). But I still suggest that on the basis of Jønsson et al 2010, it could already be reasonable to split allopatric mainland migratory diffusus, retaining all other sspp (including Sunda, Wallacea and Philippine races) within O chinensis until their relationships are better understood. After all, geographically intermediate tenuirostris is now usually split from the chinensis complex, even though other relationships within the complex remain unresolved.

Richard

Last edited:
But I still suggest that on the basis of Jønsson et al 2010, it could already be reasonable to split allopatric mainland migratory diffusus, retaining all other sspp (including Sunda, Wallacea and Philippine races) within O chinensis until their relationships are better understood.

Hmm !! Do you mean that maculatus is closer to chinensis than is diffusus ? This is not what I understand from their chronogram.

Oriolus chinensis split

Hmm !! Do you mean that maculatus is closer to chinensis than is diffusus ? This is not what I understand from their chronogram.
Yes, fair point, Daniel. Although maculatus is therefore probably equally deserving of recognition as a species, that's impractical while its geographical scope remains unknown. OK, I agree - perhaps better to wait.

Richard

Last edited:
I think you can have enough data when you have a reasonable sample size of either all known taxa of the complex or at least taxa from each region to give an accurate assessment

The problem with such a sampling sceme is that 'taxa' have to be correctly delineated in the first place, which would make a taxonomical revision redundant ;-)

OK, cheers. Found the Shrike-Babs in Richard's link.....eventually. Still in Timalliidae (has anyone poked the "Clements " team recently to see if they're actually still alive?;)). But couldn't find a form rippleyi to check range of:egghead: So still totally confused about the new WBSB layout in the Himalayas. Anyone (James maybe?) know which of the new splits occur(s) at Labha? and how the 2 himalayan species differ?

White-browed Shrike-babbler

Anyone (James maybe?) know which of the new splits occur(s) at Labha? and how the 2 himalayan species differ?
Larry, you've got the same problem as me (P validirostris or P ripleyi?):
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1660690&postcount=11

It would indeed be good if James could give his latest thoughts... ;)

It seems that ripleyi is genetically and vocally distinctive, but with only minor plumage traits (subtle differences in hues of coloration, and extent of white on primary tips).

Richard

Last edited:

It seems that ripleyi is genetically and vocally distinctive, but with only minor plumage traits (subtle differences in hues of coloration, and extent of white on primary tips).

Richard

There's hope then! I've a very distant memory of tracking down my first ever WBSB as they were singing! I hope I transcribed the voice.

Richard

Larry and Richard,

James is at the British Bird Fair this weekend so don't expect a reply from him til Sunday eve at the earliest. Below is taken from his Pteruthius paper, first from the tables:

"PSC treatment (Reddy 2008) and range: Pteruthius ripleyi western Himalayas; eastwards to eastern Nepal sensu Reddy (2008); present study suggests eastern boundary uncertain (at least central Nepal but possibly to Arunachal)......Remarks: We include at least central Nepalese populations with this taxon on vocal evidence. Recordings from further east (Bengal, Bhutan, Arunachal) may indicate a zone of overlap or hybridization with validirostris; more research into taxon boundary and species limits required........
PSC treatment (Reddy 2008) and range: Pteruthius validirostris eastern Himalayas (Bhutan, north-east India), Chin Hills, Nagaland, Meghalaya [treated as P.aeralatus validirostris in this paper] Remarks: Strong subspecies; weak vocal divergence from neighboring ricketti based on small sample size; additional DNA sampling of intervening areas may invalidate current cyt-b break towards other P. aeralatus taxa, especially neighboring P. a.ricketti; biological species status remains a possibility."

and, second, from the text:

"Pteruthius ripleyi (Biswas) (monotypic): This west Himalayan taxon displays a comparatively deep cyt-b divergence of 2.9–4.2% from other taxa. More importantly, its minimum divergence from its only geographic neighbor P. [f.] validirostris is at 3.2%, which is indicative of species status and atypical for within-species divergences. These high mitochondrial differences are surprising, because P. ripleyi has not been universally accepted as a valid subspecies in recent treatments (e.g. Rasmussen & Anderton 2005, Collar & Robson 2007). Reddy (2008) listed several minor plumage traits that differentiate P. ripleyi, but their reproductive relevance must remain controversial.
Vocal data appear to support the deep genetic split, although the geographic sampling regime must be increased to allow for definitive conclusions. Birds in Uttaranchal (India) and Kathmandu (Nepal) have significantly slower songs than those recorded further east in north-east India (Table 4). Although our
geographic sampling is somewhat sparse, this is nevertheless a dramatic vocal break from some of the highest inter- and intra-motif break lengths to some of the lowest values over a comparatively close geographic range.
The western Himalayan song type not only differs in sounding much slower than other taxa, but the notes themselves are much more drawn-out, sometimes display a downward spike before dropping (see Figure 1), and make a more melodious subjective impression.
Two additional samples from unspecified locations in Nepal and one from Bhutan were not available in an appropriate format for quantitative analysis (see above), but were inspected acoustically side by side with the slow Kathmandu recordings and the fast Lava (Bengal) and Eaglenest (Arunachal) recordings (Table 3). All three recordings exhibited a slow pace of motif delivery identical to that in Kathmandu. Additionally, in Eaglenest (Arunachal), only a few kilometers east of the Bhutanese border, JAE has seen White-browed Shrike-Babblers give unrecorded song bouts that sounded identical to the slow melodious song type in a population where the fast song type also occurs (Table 3). There is a potential discrepancy in the fact that birds from Eaglenest and from an unspecified location in Bhutan were identified as being slow, whereas the Lava recording (25 km west of the Bhutan border) and other Eaglenest recordings belonged to the eastern fastpaced song type. Clearly, the Himalayan sampling regime of the P. flaviscapis complex must be increased in terms of vocal recordings, genetic loci, individuals and geographical sites. The co-occurrence of two quite divergent song types (fast and slow) in the vicinity of Bhutan may suggest that there is character variability, overlap or occasional hybridization between the two taxa in the presumed contact zone, or it may indicate that
our diagnosis of different song types is erroneous and based on low sample size. We think that the existence of two song types (despite their geographic overlap) in conjunction with the deep mitochondrial split tips the
burden of proof onto those who would like to retain the forms P. ripleyi and P. [f.] validirostris as part of a single biological species. However, we realize that future data may warrant a modification of our arrangement.
One more issue that requires clarification is the taxonomic re-assignment of birds in central Nepal (Kathmandu) and potentially further east (all the way to Eaglenest) that display the slow melodious song type of P. ripleyi, despite having been classified as P. [f.] validirostris. Reddy’s study
(2008) did not include DNA samples from the Himalayas east of westernmost Nepal, so her diagnosis of central and eastern Himalayan birds as P. [f.] validirostris rests on plumage differences. We suggest that the current boundary between P.ripleyi and P. [f.] validirostris is unclear but certainly much further east than suggested by Reddy (2008). This boundary needs to be re-assessed based on increased genetic and acoustic sampling in the future. If such future studies corroborate the preliminary findings of our limited vocal data, P. ripleyi may extend far into the central or even eastern Himalayas. As the type locality of P. [f.] validirostris is outside the Himalayas (Nagaland, north-eastern India), this would be a taxonomically coherent treatment."

Hope this helps.

Shaun

Yes, many thanks Shaun. We've got the paper, but it leaves a question mark over the delimitation of ripleyi and validirostris in central/eastern Himalaya.

Richard

Sorry, Richard - I hadn't realised that.

All I will add is that the paper treats birds in Western Himalaya east to central Nepal as ripleyi and birds east of there as validirostris. Thus I would regard birds seen in Eastern Himalaya as validirostris (for the moment) especially if they gave the 'fast song'. Of course, further work may change this situation (as stated in the paper):

"The distinctness of the eastern Himalayan subspecies P. a. validirostris is on a par with that of P. a. ricketti. As mentioned before, we interpret the range of P. a. validirostris as not including central Nepal, which we assign to the range of P. ripleyi instead."

Shaun

White-browed Shrike-babbler

All I will add is that the paper treats birds in Western Himalaya east to central Nepal as ripleyi and birds east of there as validirostris. Thus I would regard birds seen in Eastern Himalaya as validirostris (for the moment) especially if they gave the 'fast song'. Of course, further work may change this situation (as stated in the paper):

"The distinctness of the eastern Himalayan subspecies P. a. validirostris is on a par with that of P. a. ricketti. As mentioned before, we interpret the range of P. a. validirostris as not including central Nepal, which we assign to the range of P. ripleyi instead."

Shaun
Thanks again, Shaun.

As you suggest, I'll assume for now that birds east of Nepal are P validirostris, unless/until proved otherwise. Hopefully the boundaries will soon be clarified/confirmed, given the number of birders visiting the areas concerned.

Richard

Last edited:
What's the range of Ashy-fronted Bulbul Pycnonotus cinereifrons, just split from Olive-winged?

And also the 3 "Philippine Bulbuls"?

And Epaulet/Variable Orioles?

Last edited:
Philippines bulbuls

What's the range of Ashy-fronted Bulbul Pycnonotus cinereifrons, just split from Olive-winged?
And also the 3 "Philippine Bulbuls"?
Fishpool & Tobias 2005 (HBW10) suggests ranges as follows:

• Pycnonotos (plumosus) cinereifrons Ashy-fronted Bulbul (monotypic) - W Philippines (Busuanga, Culion, Palawan)

• Hypsipetes [Ixos] (philippinus) philippinus Philippine Bulbul:
    • philippinus - N Philippines (Luzon, Corregidor, Fortune, Lubang, Polillo, Calagua Is, Marinduque, Banton, Catanduanes)
    • parkesi - Burias
    • saturatior - EC & S Philippines (Samar, Buad, Balut, Biliran, Leyte, Cebu, Olango, Mactan, Bohol, Panaon, Calicoan, Mindanao except Zamboanga Peninsula, Cabo, Talicud, Pujada)

• Hypsipetes [Ixos] (philippinus) mindorensis Mindoro Bulbul (monotypic) - Mindoro and Semirara

• Hypsipetes [Ixos] (philippinus) guimarasensis Visayan Bulbul (monotypic) - WC Philippines (Ticao, Masbate, Carabao, Borocay, Panay, Gigantes, Calagna-an, Sicogon, Bantayan, Guimaras, Negros, Verde)
Richard

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back