• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GRAN CANARIA - 2- 6th February 2024 (4 Viewers)

I know IOC still hold it as a species, hence I don't really follow each Country's own decisions. Not arguing against what they say mind you but my world list is IOC-based.

I do think that in the Canary Islands there must be a lot of hybridisation though. Part One of this Birdforum video report looks closely at the issue of African and European Collared Doves.

Worth a look perhaps................https://www.birdforum.net/threads/gran-canaria-june-2023-trip-report-video.442395/
sorry Nick I wasn’t clear, it’s been removed from the SEO list because they no longer believe it to have ever been properly established in Spain, rather than any taxonomic reason
Cheers
James

I wasn’t aware that there were too many tourists in the Canary Islands.
I was in Lanzarote a month ago, plenty of empty rooms in the hotel we used and getting a restaurant table on "the front" at Playa Blanca was easy - just walk in !

Birding was pretty slow, though

I wasn’t aware that there were too many tourists in the Canary Islands.
I was in Lanzarote a month ago, plenty of empty rooms in the hotel we used and getting a restaurant table on "the front" at Playa Blanca was easy - just walk in !

Birding was pretty slow, though
Maybe I shouldn't believe the current headlines about the Canarian economy being under strain and at breaking point. Might well be a false headline Mike.

Maybe I shouldn't believe the current headlines about the Canarian economy being under strain and at breaking point. Might well be a false headline Mike.
Well, we’re back there in early April (my partner’s sons have booked as a "big birthday" treat) it’s school holidays so could be a tad busier !
;)

Well, we’re back there in early April (my partner’s sons have booked as a "big birthday" treat) it’s school holidays so could be a tad busier !
;)
Sorry if I've caused a bit of unnecessary and probably unwarranted concern Mike, I'm sure that it will be no different to usual. Sensationalist, headline-grabbing nonsense on my newsfeed more likely.

It is true that during peak times there can be insufficient supply, this especially in relation to vehicle rental. When I visited Gran Canaria, admittedly in the latter stages of covid era when supplies of many things were a mess, and it was a last minute trip, there were zero options left to rent a vehicle - not a car, not even a scoorer or motorbike. Used public transport that time. There was no issue with accommodation however. On a visit a year laterr, I booked in advance and had no issues with anything.

When I was last in Tenerife (feb 22) there were massive traffic jams on the orbital motorway at anything approaching rush hours and there obviously are huge sustainability issues to having a million people on an island that size and location. I’d imagine in prime tourist months it’s way beyond that

There have been several articles similar to the attached over the last 12 months about reducing the number of British tourists in Lanzarote and moving the island more upmarket (Scillification?? 😉) but don't known if other Canary islands have similar pressures / proposals.

This is along the lines of what caught my eye, it was shown repeatedly on my AOL newsfeed the week before I departed...........also ones about a lack of available hotel accommodation (which may be bull, who knows)..............

Just found out there was an Allen's Gallinule taken into care last few days, literally twenty miles away from where I was staying..........oh well............

Sorry if I've caused a bit of unnecessary and probably unwarranted concern Mike, I'm sure that it will be no different to usual. Sensationalist, headline-grabbing nonsense on my newsfeed more likely.
Don’t worry, we’re taking a couple of kids in the family group so we hope it is busy for extra playmates

Users who are viewing this thread

Back