• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Viper 8x28 and 10x28 (1 Viewer)

pompadour

Information and/or advice please! My ideas about a Minimum Efficient Set of bins changed very recently (after seeing the benefits of low power, with its other associated parameters). For the new planned / hoped for set thinking at present of including (in addition to one of those)

Vortex Viper 8x28 or 10x28.

• How does each of the two compare with the 8x20 and 10x25 models of Leica, Nikon, Swaro., Zeiss? (even V.'s 8x vs others' 10x, and vice versa, will help.)

• Are the V.s close enough in optical quality to those for the 28 mm obj. diam. to make the image noticeably brighter in dark conditions, and better?

• Other pros, cons, other relevant points, mostly re optical, but possibly also construction, quality? (Am aware that • they're not in the Vortex HD set • the exit pupil is of course larger than in the others listed.) Thank you!

Pomp,

I wish I could help you with these but I have never owned either configuration in this binocular line. I have owned the 8x42s but that won't help much with your questions.

I do own the 8x28 Bushnell Excursions. They are about as compact as I will go because of the exit pupil issue and also because of the size of my hands in relation to the size of the binoculars. I really enjoy their view. It is exceptionally wide for such a compact roof prism model. The sweet spot is also very generous. I would highly recommend them.

I hope others can chime in about the Viper equivalents.

Frank, thanks.

I know these two configs. are a little "quirky" - also those who pursue them like this! In fact, the Bushn. Excursion 8x28 seems discontinued - looked up their website after learning of it from you. Will google more.

My "master directory" to search for bins has been the Eagle Optics site. They don't list that model. I'm finding I have to google on other routes in my larger quest for "the Set" also. Thinking of a very wide field 7x~42, and - cannot remember the sequence of links in the last few hrs - but helped along the way by one FrankD! - discovered also the Zen Ray range, not listed by E.O.

I see there's a lot to read up in this at Bf. and elsewhere, including much typically excellent material by you.

Vkalia, thanks - can and will wait!

Pomp,

Thank you for the kind words. Glad I could help with your optics search.

The Excursion 8x28s are discontinued but can be found on Ebay for about $70-$80. That is where I, and several other BF members, picked them up. The guy selling them is in Canada but he obviously ships out of country. Not sure where you are at geographically but it is worthwhile pursuing.

Not many widefield 7x42s around anymore. The Zen Ray is your best bet in terms of price versus performance.

Pompadour:

I have both the Vortex Fury 8x and 10x28. I've compared the Fury 8x28 to the Viper 8x28 and found their performance to be the same. With the chief difference being greater profits for Vortex. My 10x28s (EP = 2.8) are good for sunny days only. When its overcast with less light available they are too difficult to focus for me. The 8x28's (EP = 3.5) are better in low light, but they are still 28s. In the last few years as my eyes age/change (I'll soon be 67) I'm finding that both of my 28s are becoming more difficult for me to use and enjoy. I've concluded, reluctantly, that 32's are now my preferred minimum size binoculars to use. That's unfortunate, because the 28s are so easy to bring along -anywhere, anytime. I have never cared for 20s or 25s as no matter if they are alphas or less - they have always been too dark for my eyes. Good luck.

Frank and BearCD, sorry, I should have given more info. at the outset.

My main glass is a Leica Ultravid 10x25, carried in a trousers (pants) pocket, and I seek a replacement of like weight and size but with a better image in the darkest conditions.

Explanation (you were already warned with that "quirky"). In my thinking/imagination a bin round the neck says "bird watcher" too much. I'd rather also not "wear" things other than clothes and footgear (such as a watch). So it sits there (even in the field when not in the hand for continual use). Tip: with a little practice you can prvent lenses contacting cloth or fingers - but don't put other stuff in those pockets - and better strengthen them!

Frank, the Bushn. Excursion 8x or 10x28 is a bit heavy for that. The Leica is 275 g. The Vortex Viper 28s are 335 and 340, which I reluctantly accept. But the Bushns. are 430. Useful for me to learn these things, of course. The B.E. 8x28 is no longer on eBay - maybe that guy sold all. As I said, I need to read up quite a bit on the 7xs also, e.g. Zen Rays. A bit bewildered by Bushnell's models flitting in and out of the FOV, so to speak. The B.E. 7x36 is currenlty in Eagle Optics's site but not in Bushnell's own. BTW, the 7x will (as my larger bins do now) sit in the vehicle or lodging till I - or someone else - carries it out to the field (without strap).

As you might have gathered by now, I prefer that the world knows the minimium about myself, so I'd also rather hide my geog. location! As for the reason you touched upon that: there are a few friends in the USA one or the other of whom I meet farily often and to whose addresss such items can be shipped.

BearCD, thanks. My sight is at present fairly alright (with specs). The Leica is usable without difficulty except at the darkest times (relative to brighter configurations). One review of the V. Vipr 8x28 in the Eagle Optics site implies it is then better than the Nikon LX/HG 8x20 (which is about equal to the Ultravid 8x20). I had already read up a bit about the Vortex Viper 28s, incl. a thread in Bf. which as I remember was on Vortex 28 Fury vs Viper. Wonder if it's you who comments there too as above! But as I recall more than one user stated there that the Viper had distinct improvements over the Fury in design and effect.

Last edited:
Ceasar:

Very interesting. Weight of only 13.4 oz in the 8x32 configuration with 19 mm of eye relief! Incredible! The catch is that they are only 3.9" tall resulting in objective end focusing (really awkward). I know that I always say the three most important aspects of handling are: weight, weight and lightweight. But, there are additional considerations. These little Opticron 32s remind me of the ill conceived (and very ill executed) Burris Signature Select 8x32.

That Burris was 4" long, weighed 18 oz and was supposed to have 18mm of eye relief (The shortest 18mm that I've ever encountered). In its initial configuration - it too, only had armor in the grip area. It too, had objective end focusing compounded by 1/4 turn of slack prior to the focusing knob engaging the focus mechanism. But worst of all its short length both concentrated all of its weight making it feel much heavier than it really was, plus it was too short to grip with one hand. I had to hold it with two fingers and a thumb of both hands. Too dainty for me. Additionally, it too had a vertical strap attachment (thin metal) that bit into the web of my hands causing much discomfort. For me that Burris SS 8x32 was a handling disaster. Finally, its offered image was certainly nothing to write (positively) home about. Back it went.

Hopefully, when Opticron says 19mm of eye relief, they mean 19 mm of eye relief. I assume that Opticron has an effective fully functioning focus mechanism; however objective end focusing is not for everyone (particularly me). But, 3.9" is just too short for me.

So: weight, weight and lightweight, plus some other important stuff equals good handling.

bearclawthedonut

Have you considered the Pentax 9 x 28 DCF LV? It doesn't have double hinges and won't fold up as small as one does. It doesn't have the best edges in the world either but it is a real good binocular for the money. I've had one for years. It says in the tray between the front seats of my van. It has true long eye relief, I know because my wife uses it with her glasses on and likes it very much. It weighs 12.9 ounces and will fit into a bellows type shirt pocket or a golf jacket pocket. It is tough as nails. My son rode buses, backpacked and trekked all over Northern Chile, Southern Peru and the Lake Titicaca, Bolivia region with it. He dropped it into the lake while standing on the shore, retrieved it and continued using it. He saw an Andean Condor with it.

I've got it back now. It looks a bit worn but it works great. My only complaint with it is that the edges aren't too sharp but it has a comfortably sized sweet spot. But what do you want for $220.00? And there is a $20.00 rebate on it now from Pentax. I might get another one.

Bob

Robert, he's posted that as another thread:
"Comparison of various compacts".

Thanks, I had not noticed that this was the follow-up. And I had not checked it either. Though it makes sense as it's dealing with a number of different brands.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back