• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fantastic squirrels . . . (1 Viewer)

janvanderbrugge

HBW Alive Key is not only a valuable source for discovering the meaning of Greek and Latin terms and of eponyms and toponyms, but it also has a function for one's "éducation permanente". From the Catalogue of the Ashmolean Museum, 1836, I learnt that the synonym term Pyrgita (Cuvier) for the house sparrow was derived from Greek pyrgitès, "a liver in towers" (I would never have thought of the word "liver" in this sense!), from pyrgos = tower, torret. The HBW Alive Key offers Cuvier's original explanation (which has no tower in it, only the sparrow itself). Put together, very helpful!
By some chance I stumbled into the term squirrels in my files and checked the references in the Key. I take the liberty to submit two adaptations to James' texts, not as critical notes, but to add my part to this tremendous quantity of information.

First the squirrel-less element in a specific name of Crossbills.
For the given term sinesciurus: read sinesciuris, this is Latin plural dative, which is required after preposition sine (without). Without the explanation by the authors one could hardly imagine what reason they had for such a name!

sinesciuris (Loxia): without squirrels (Sciurus). “We name this species Loxia sinesciuris because it occurs in an area without squirrels, and the absence of tree squirrels is key to its evolution. Sine sciuris is the Latin phrase “without squirrels.” (referring to American Red Squirrel, Tamiasciurus hudsonicus, which does not occur in the South Hills and Albion Mountains, southern Idaho; as a result cones of the lodgepole pines (Pinus contorta latifolia) accumulate and serotinous cones can hold seeds for decades; this crossbill depends on the stable seed availability of this large seed bank and crossbill density in the South Hills is about 20 times higher than in lodgepole pine forests with red squirrels). [C.W.Benkman et al., The Condor, 111 (1), 2009]

The second squirrel-name is in fact without squirrels as well. There is little room (or reason) in nomenclature or eponymics for humour, but Hartert seems to have one of those moments . . .

sciurorum (Myiagra rubecula): of the squirrels (Sciurus), but there is no relation with such animals; the name was given for the Eichhorn brothers, Albert F. and George Eichhorn, collectors in New Guinea. They were brothers-in-law of explorer Albert S.Meek and collected on Goodenough Island, D'Entrecasteaux Group, Papua New Guinea for several weeks in 1923. (Amer.Mus.Novit. 1792, 1956, p.7)
The name was given by Rothschild and Hartert, translating the German word "eichhorn" (squirrel) = sciurus > of the Eichhorns = sciurorum.

In my files this last name received a double place: in a list of names related to animals (bird names connected to mammals, like Buphagus, or reptiles like anguitimens, or insects like Myrmecothera), of course with the note as above, and also in the list of eponyms, for the two Eichhorn collectors.
For those interested in the etymology of mammal names: sciurus = shadow-tail, from Greek skia = shadow, shady place, + oura = tail.
Enjoy,
Jan van der Brugge, Netherlands

The OD is surprisingly clear regarding ...

• the subspecies Myiagra rubecula sciurorum ROTHSCHILD & HARTERT 1918 (OD's here, p.316 and p.318!):
[on p.318] Myiagra rubecula sciurorum subsp. nov.

for the brothers Eichhorn (Eichhorn =sciuius).
The type, a Male specimen, was collected by Meek on Rossel Island 3 March 1898. A female specimen was also collected by the same Meek, on the same Island, the same day (here).

Note that the Island itself, L'île de Rossel (a k a Yela), in its turn is claimed to be named so after Élisabeth Paul Édouard de Rossel (1765–1829), a senior officer on the French expedition of d'Entrecasteaux. If the Island also (as claimed by today's HBW Alive Key) ever was called "Squirrel I." [Squirrel Island] is unknown to me.

If so a double- or even tripple (as the Eichhorn brothers themselves was two) hint by Hartert and Rothschild!
---

Last edited:
Pesky squirrels! I had forgotten about Albert Eichhorn's younger brother, George, who was with Meek in the Solomon Islands. When time permits I shall revisit the various eichhorni eponyms, to see if any of them refer to George. Many thanks, Jan and Björn.

For the given term sinesciurus: read sinesciuris, this is Latin plural dative, which is required after preposition sine (without). Without the explanation by the authors one could hardly imagine what reason they had for such a name!
Not that this matters a lot, but sine actually calls for ablative, not for dative. (These two cases have identical endings in the plural of all five Latin declensions.)

But I'm not sure that the core message in Jan's remark was explicit enough, as James corrected the explanation to sciurorum but not the spelling of sinesciuris [OD here]. (I.e., not "sinesciurus", which is how it still appears in the Key at the time of writing; and how it was given in quite a few other places, including at least two works authored by Craig Benkman himself, [Benkman 2010] and [Benkman 2016], and the 51st supplement to the AOU check-list which declined to recognise it as a valid new species [Chesser et al 2010].)

---
Edit: it's correct now :t:

Last edited:
Grand merci, Laurent, vous avez toute raison. After sending my message I realised that the Latin
preposition "sine" (without) might require ablativus instead of dativus. As you say, it seldoms matters, anyway not in the terminating of nouns and adjectives. I do appreciate attentiveness and punctuality, however, I myself would not have sent another message for this grammatical point nor for the lack of adaptation in the term sinesciurus. So I am glad that you took this step for me!
It should keep us all alert in our striving for perfection or at least for reliable interaction.

Now that I am back here, I can add that I did not find anything about the Squirrel Island which Björn referred to in his reaction: "If the Island also (as claimed by today's HBW Alive Key) ever was called "Squirrel I." [Squirrel Island] is unknown to me." If there is no Squirrel Island, this is all the more disappointing for the readers who maybe (by the title of my topic) expected some nice stories or pictures of squirrels, and these animals are still completely absent in our messages . . .
Cheers, Jan van der Brugge

Eichhorn's birds

... When time permits I shall revisit the various eichhorni eponyms, to see if any of them refer to George. ...
Well James, here we go:

• Yellow-vented Myzomela Myzomela eichhorni ROTHSCHILD & HARTERT 1901 (here) a k a Eichhorn's Honeyeater alt. Eichborn's Myzomela ["This beautiful Myzomela is named in honour of our correspondent Albert Meek's able assistant and brother-in-law, Mr. Eichhorn."] ... leaves it open for either one of the brother but (to my understanding) it ought to be Albert Eichhorn, as he was the one who assisted Meek in those early years.

• New Ireland Friarbird Philemon eichhorni ROTHSCHILD & HARTERT 1924 (here) a k a Eichhorn's Friarbird ["Albert F. Eichhorn coll."]

• the subspecies Zoothera heinei eichhorni ROTHSCHILD & HARTERT 1924 (here) as "Turdus dauma eichhorni" ["Named after its discoverer, Albert F. Eichhorn."]

• the subspecies Aerodramus spodiopygius eichhorni HARTERT 1924 (here) as "Collocalia francica eichhorni" ["... collected by Albert F. Eichhorn."]

• the subspecies Erythrura trichroa eichhorni HARTERT 1924 (here) ["Mr. Eichhorn sent six adults and two young from St. Matthias, and two from Squally or Storm Island."] No explicit dedication, but the type was collected on same Island, in the same month, in may 1923, as the "Turdus" above.

• the subspecies (Nectarinia) Leptocoma aspasia/sericea eichhorni ROTHSCHILD & HARTERT 1926 (here) as "Cinnyris sericeus eichhorni" ["A. F. Eichhorn coll."]

• the subspecies Myiagra hebetior eichhorni HARTERT 1924 (here) as "Monarcha hebetior eichhorni" ["A. F. Eichhorn coll."]

• the subspecies Ninox jacquinoti eichhorni HARTERT 1929 (here, p.7) as "Spiloglaux jacquinoti eichhorni" (No dedication) ... but: [" TYPE.—Male, adult; Choiseul; December 10, 1903; No. A900; A. S. Meek Coll.] ... and it was (from what I can tell) Albert F. Eichhorn who went with Meek to Choiseul, in the Solomon Islands.

• the hard-to-place subspecies [Pampus(s)ana] (Gallicolumba) Alopecoenas johannae/beccarii eichhorni HARTERT 1924 (here) as "Gallicolumba beccarii eichhorni" ["A. F. Eichhorn coll."]

• the subspecies Zosterops griseotinctus eichhorni HARTERT 1926 (here) as "Zosterops eichhorni" ["Albert F. Eichhorn coll."]

And on top of that:
• the subspecies Accipiter albogularis eichhorni HARTERT 1926 (here) as "Accipiter eichhorni". Not listed the HBW Alive Key ["A. F. Eichhorn coll."]

That´s all I think!

-----------

To me it looks like most of them does commemorate the Australian farmer (and collector of various Naturalia) Albert Frederic Eichhorn (No years found*), but apparently born in Cooktown, Queensland ...

In my mind the birds above leaves little doubt and little space for his brother George E. Eichhorn (... one of the "Squirrells", good one, Jan! :t:)

However: Enjoy!

Björn

PS. But take this post for what it is worth! I haven´t gone the full length researching neither the birds nor all the men behind them, I was simply inspired by this thread. As far as I can tell (after this limited search) it was their sister Emilie Louise Meek (née Eichhorn) who was the wife of Albert Stewart Meek (1871-1943).

*There are two short "In memoriam's" published in the Australian newspaper Sydney Morning Herald of 20 Jun 1932, (here, bottom page, to the very left) on the one-year-anniversary of the death of a certain "Albert F. Eichhorn" who´d passed away exactly one year before (20 June 1931). I don´t know if it´s "our guy" or not? But with such a name, it ought to be him, doesn´t it ... well, who knows?
--

Last edited:
Oooups

Hold on!

I knew Mr. Eichhorn sounded familiar. The name itched in the back of my head. And then, in the middle if the night, it suddenly struck me! He is one of the guys in my MS (of Common Swedish Bird names), there commemorated in the today's out-dated Swedish name "eichhornmunkfågel", revised in 2015 into "newirelandmunkskata " [i.e. New Ireland Friarbird Philemon eichhorni].

In my MS this guy is: (translated backwards, into my usual, somewhat awkward English):
"... the fairly unknown Australian Albert Frederic Eichhorn.
This Albert Eichhorn, according to some a farmer by trade, collected exotic butterflies, as well as other insects and quite a few new birds (often accompanied by more well-known collectors or together with his even less-known brother George E. Eichhorn), during several Expeditions in about the early 1900's, both to New Guinea and the Philippines and on a multitude of smaller Islands thereabouts, such as for example the Solomon Islands and the ones in the Bismarck archipelago ...
[This bird ... blahblahblah ... based on the OD itself (8 October 1924) ... was collected, by this Mr. Eichhorn, in the hills of the Southwest coast of the Island New Ireland, earlier the same year, on the 22nd of January 1924] ... He died a some years later, the 20th of June 1931 (not in 1933 as is often claimed). His Obituary, published in the local Newspaper Cairns Post 25 juli 1931, gives the following short summary of his life: The late Mr. Eichhorn was born at Cooktown, but had spent the greatest part of his life in Papua. For many years he was associated with Mr. A. T. Meek [sic., most likely a printers error, as it must have been meant as "A. S. Meek", Albert Stewart Meek], the well-known naturalist. He [Eichhorn] made many rare and valuable collections for Rothschilds, and some fine specimens of his work are to be seen in Tring Museum. Herts. England. Later [in 1926], when Edie Creek Goldfield [outside Wau in New Guinea] broke out he tried his hand as a miner. Being one of the first to arrive on the field, he worked there successfully for a few years, and was popular among the miners. His many friends, there, as well as a wide circle in Papua, will regret to hear of his early death.
That Obituary sure beat the two short, very short "In Memoriam's" I found some sleep-less hours ago.

However, as this is a no-longer valid Swedish Common Bird name he´s only given a brief presentation in my MS, quite similar to the above. I simply dug around for a while, more than a year ago, and that´s all I came up with. Then he simply slipped my mind.

However, back on track; take it for what it´s worth; and enjoy!

Björn
---

Last edited:
The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Eichhorn's Myzomela Myzomela eichhorni Rothschild & Hartert, 1901 [Alt. Crimson-rumped Myzomela, Yellow-vented Myzomela]
Eichhorn's Friarbird Philemon eichhorni Rothschild & Hartert, 1924 [Alt. New Ireland Friarbird]
Bronze Ground Dove ssp. Gallicolumba beccarii eichhorni Hartert, 1924
Velvet Flycatcher ssp Myiagra hebetioreichhorni Hartert, 1924
Northern Fantail ssp. Rhipidura rufiventris albertorum Hartert, 1924 NCR [JS Rhipidura rufiventris setosa]
Russet-tailed Thrush ssp. Zoothera heinei eichhorni Rothschild & Hartert, 1924
White-rumped Swiftlet ssp. Aerodramus spodiopygius eichhorni Hartert, 1924
Black Sunbird ssp. Leptocoma sericea eichhorni Rothschild & Hartert, 1926
Louisiade White-eye ssp. Zosterops griseotinctus eichhorni Hartert, 1926
Pied Goshawk ssp. Accipiter albogularis eichhorni Hartert, 1926 Solomons
Hawk Owl ssp.Ninox jacquinoti eichhorni Hartert, 1929
Albert F. Eichhorn (c. 1868–1933) was an Australian farmer. He collected in New Guinea (1900), the Solomon Islands (1903 and 1907) and New Ireland and New Britain (1910 and 1920s). Much of his collecting was for or with Albert Meek (q.v.), and the fantail's trinomial albertorum [= of the Alberts] commemorates both.

The Key to Scientific Names
Albert Frederic Eichhorn (d. 1931) Australian farmer, gold-miner, collector in New Guinea, the Bismarcks, and Solomon Is. (subsp. Accipiter albogularis, subsp. Aerodramus spodiopygius, subsp. Alopecoenas johannae, subsp. Erythrura trichroa, subsp. Leptocoma aspasia, Myiagra, Myzomela, subsp. Ninox jacquinoti, Philemon, subsp. Zoothera heinei, subsp. Zosterops griseotinctus).

So the question remains when was he born in Cooktown, Queensland?

P.S. Eichhorn (the diminitive form) rembers me on te very typical bavarian word Oachkatzlschwoaf.

Last edited:
Birth29 Apr 1882 Cooktown, Queensland, Australia
ResidenceNSW
Death20 Jun 1931 Waverley, New South Wales, Australia
Record information.
FatherJulius Charles Emil Eichhorn (1836-1909)
Record information.
MotherEmily Louise Danglie (1850-1936)

May worth to enhance the key. See #9

Rhipidura rufiventris albertorum Hartert, 1924 OD here
Named in honour of Albert F. Eichhorn, the able collector, and Albert S. Meek, the organiser of the expedition.
The Key to Scientific Names
Albert S. Meek (1871-1943) English explorer, collector, and his brother-in-law Albert F. Eichhorn (d. 1933) Australian farmer, collector (syn. Rhipidura rufiventris setosa).

If Wikipedia is correct Albert Stewart Meek. But we can find this name as well here or in the publication from W. John Tennent:
The Man who Shot Butterflies Albert Stewart Meek (1871-1943) - Naturalist and Explorer

Last edited:
For what it's worth, in my MS I have them (both) as:
"Albert Frederic Eichhorn (1882–1931)" resp. "Albert Stewart Meek (1871–1943)", commemorated in albertorum, and (on their own) also in eichhorni resp. meeki [as well as meekiana], plus, of course, in the two Eichhorn Brothers' shared sciurorum (above).

But, I haven't been able to find anything additional on the former's brother: "George E. Eichhorn".

Anyone who has?

Last edited:
No reason to think he was a younger brother. As the other collector was a George it must be

George Charles Dingby Eichhorn
1877–1942 who lived in Samarai for many years (we have discussed Samarai before).
He died whilst mining on the Krosmeri River. He and two other miners were executed by Japanese soldiers.
Birth 25 Nov 1877 Queensland, Australia
Marriage 19 Nov 1901, Cooktown
Death 11 Apr 1942 Sepik Province, New Guinea

Father Julius Charles Emil Eichhorn (1836-1909)
Mother Louisa Danglie (1850-1936)
Spouse Mary Ellen (Helen) Tobin (1876-1922)

Other siblings were:

Helene Anna Eichhorn
1869–1911

Marguerite Faith Eichhorn
1871–1964

Caroline Marie Eichhorn
1873–1957

Emilie Louise Eichhorn
1875–1949

Josephine Bertha Eichhorn
1880–1973

Julius Herman Eichhorn
1884–1950

Gertrude Adelaide Eichhorn
1888–1975

Last edited:
Pesky squirrels! I had forgotten about Albert Eichhorn's younger brother, George, who was with Meek in the Solomon Islands. ...
I assume that James had some reason for calling him "younger" ...

Also note the Words of John Tennent (in this 'blog', from June 2016, comment No.17):
I am a scientific associate at the Natural History Museum in London and have been working on a biography of A. S. Meek for some years. It’s been done piecemeal, but is now reaching some form, with a quarter of a million words in some sort of chapters sequence.

As you will all know – probably better than me – Albert Eichhorn and his younger brother George were collectors of natural history artefacts, with Meek in his early days, and almost independently when Meek became unable to travel. ...

... and onwards

And re. Albert Frederic Eichhorn (my red bolds)
Birth29 Apr 1882 Cooktown, Queensland, Australia
ResidenceNSW
Death20 Jun 1931 Waverley, New South Wales, Australia
Record information.
FatherJulius Charles Emil Eichhorn (1836-1909)
Record information.
MotherEmily Louise Danglie (1850-1936)

... in connection to his apparently older Brother :
No reason to think he was a younger brother. As the other collector was a George it must be

George Charles Dingby Eichhorn
1877–1942 who lived in Samarai for many years (we have discussed Samarai before).
He died whilst mining on the Krosmeri River. He and two other miners were executed by Japanese soldiers.
Birth 25 Nov 1877 Queensland, Australia
Marriage 19 Nov 1901, Cooktown
Death 11 Apr 1942 Sepik Province, New Guinea

Father Julius Charles Emil Eichhorn (1836-1909)
Mother Louisa Danglie (1850-1936)
Spouse Mary Ellen (Helen) Tobin (1876-1922)

Thus, Paul, was their Mother's (second given) name Louise, or Louisa ... ?

English versus German versions of her name?

And; were there possibly yet another Kid Brother, like a: George E. (Emil?) Eichhorn?

Or not?

/B

Last edited:
There is no other brother on any official records. The younger brother Julius Herman (known as Herman) lived in Java most of his life where he had a "native " wife. The mother is also called Emily Louise on some records and was probably Eurasian being born in Shantou - it is suggested that Danglie and Way are corruptions of Min names.

Thanks guys, now I think I have all (and more than) I need to revisit, improve and finally finish my MS entry on the (earlier) Swedish name "eichhornmunkfågel" for Philemon eichhorni (today it's called newirelandmunkskata – in line with its English name New Ireland Friarbird). Once again: Thanks! (y)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back