• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redpoll - Russia (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
St Petersburg, today.

I'd just like to run this past those with more knowledge of the races than me.

With a flock of c50 other Redpolls but obviously colder, greyer and with an almost unmarked rump, just a pale flammea?

Attachments

• DSC_5060.jpg
    DSC_5060.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC_5061.jpg
    DSC_5061.jpg
    491.9 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC_5062.jpg
    DSC_5062.jpg
    510.9 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
St Petersburg, today.

I'd just like to run this past those with more knowledge of the races than me.

With a flock of c50 other Redpolls but obviously colder, greyer and with an almost unmarked rump, just a pale cabaret?

Female-type Coue's Redpoll would be my id of it

Think I'd err on the side of caution and put it down as Mealy (Common) - those flank streaks look too thick and heavy for "classic" Arctic Redpoll. To be 'tickable' as Arctic it really has to combine white rump, PLUS no more than fine flank streaks, PLUS no more than 1-2 fine streaks on the undertail coverts.

Think I'd err on the side of caution and put it down as Mealy (Common) - those flank streaks look too thick and heavy for "classic" Arctic Redpoll. To be 'tickable' as Arctic it really has to combine white rump, PLUS no more than fine flank streaks, PLUS no more than 1-2 fine streaks on the undertail coverts.

I agree generally, that's why I posted but apart from the rump and cold colouration, another pro Arctic feature is the white above the eye which extends over the bill?

This bird was different to the other fifty odd that were with it as you can see in one shot.

Last edited:
Andy FWIW before I comment on your bird (pure speculation on my part), how do you think it compares to these two birds?

1 and 4....The same bird (virtually no flank streaking) Coue's Arctic Redpoll, Aldeburgh

2 and 3....A different bird (heavy flank streaking) NE.London

Attachments

• Arc.9.jpg
    Arc.9.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Def.pale Redpoll No.2 full frontal grab.jpg
    Def.pale Redpoll No.2 full frontal grab.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Def.pale Redpoll 1 Comp..jpg
    Def.pale Redpoll 1 Comp..jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Arctic Redpoll 1. perched on post. Comp.jpg
    Arctic Redpoll 1. perched on post. Comp.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Not just flank streaking Ken, buff in the wing bars, streaks visible on the rump which also looks less white than my bird, almost totally black face and overall warmer colour.

If mine were Coues's, I think it might be a first year hence the heaver streaking, the bird you posted looks like an adult and with respect, Coues's is a lot more likely here than NE London.

I'm not saying it's Coues's but it was a standout in a flock of 50 odd and I wanted opinions, hence the posting.

Last edited:
Not suggesting mine were Coue’s at all, just showing the level of variation amongst birds of a similar cosmetic, my birds were two out of c16, and also stuck out like sore thumbs amongst the Lessers that were present. Your birds appear to have a greater area of white to the rump than mine, however I think it’s expedient to say they’re certainly interesting....and they ain’t Lessers!

cheers

I know that this is a very tricky group but I'm surprised that no one else feels able to comment, the shots aren't that bad!

The shots are good but they only show a limited suite of features - we can't see the undertail coverts, and the face pattern, bill structure, and amount of white/streaking in the rump are all obscured to some degree. The plumage tones make this look like an interesting bird for sure, but personally I'd more to go on to nail the ID.

The shots are good but they only show a limited suite of features - we can't see the undertail coverts, and the face pattern, bill structure, and amount of white/streaking in the rump are all obscured to some degree. The plumage tones make this look like an interesting bird for sure, but personally I'd more to go on to nail the ID.

I know what you mean, I just though that there was probably enough for those more familiar than me, couldn't get the undertail as I was on our balcony, looking down.

They've long since disappeared in to the vast, Russian forest that surrounds us so probably won't see it again.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back