• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-billed Tropicbird (finally) and other musings (2 Viewers)

Don't think I've seen recent photos of the BWT. I have photos myself that suggest 4 Eurasian/GW Teal, one a breeding plumaged male Eurasian, and a fem/imm Garganey. Yesterday I saw four teal in flight over the sea at Atlántico. These were all E/GW Teal with one breeding male. Certainly none of these were Garganey or BWT.
Bit strange really. There’s a record on ebird for the bwt 12th Feb but I’m sure there was at least one record ( including a photo ) during mid January which doesn’t appear on ebird now. Whether the record’s been withdrawn I’ve no idea. When I was there in late January there were three teal , a garganey and a teal that was slightly larger than the common teal with a pale patch above the base of the bill which I assumed was the blue-winged. I didn’t have a scope with me, however, though I was happy enough that I could id the garganey but wouldn’t have claimed the blue-winged myself on the view I had.

Last edited:
With some pretty big (NE) winds at the moment I've been doing a bit more seawatching from Nuevo Horizonte, north of Caleta de Fuste. In 2 hours late morning today had 95 Cory's Shearwaters (all but one flying north) and 5 adult Gannets (2 north, 3 south). Then I spotted what I thought was debris on the surface and it turned out to be this Loggerhead Turtle. Great to see a live one after the recently deceased one last week and a planet earth first for me. Even managed by some fluke to get it in the viewfinder of the camera.

Hi Brian, interesting information about the Tropicbird and seawatching. Dipped the tropicbird today for the 4th time this week so I can relate to your story.. About the teals: do you know if there are any recent pictures of the Blue-winged teal? The last observation with evidence I can find is from the 27th of October last year, and during 3 visits to the small golf course ponds I could only find a Garganey, 3 Eurasian teals (1 male, 2 female-coloured) and a bird that looks like an adult female Green-winged Teal which has not been seen before. Curious about you answer! Kind regards, Thomas
I got back to Las Salinas Golf this morning in much better conditions and had 4 duck there. All were female/immature types, 3 Eurasian/Green-winged Teal and one Garganey. No sign of the breeding male Teal or the Blue-winged.

Had a Red-rumped Swallow there this morning with a Barn Swallow and a few House Martins. eBird still has that as a rarity but small numbers are recorded here in winter. Also a Black-winged Stilt, Greenshank and Spoonbill.

The Tropicbird(s) has become very unreliable. I spoke to someone yesterday who staked it out all day without success. Last eBird record is now 9 days ago!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back