• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Water pipits and ravens in Dorset? (1 Viewer)

colonelboris

Right way up again
A trip to West Bay, in Dorset, produced several rock pipits, but there was one that wasn't quite right for a rock pipit. I got half a dozen very bad photos, and the photos appear to show rock pipit in some, water pipit in others, but they are all of the same bird. In some, there's a clear white supercillium, neat white edges to the tertials, less smudged spots nearer the flanks, yellow base to the beak, red-brown legs, lack of obvious dark loral stripe and a very pale breast. However, others look very rock pipit-like. Either they were two ninja birds that were swapping over using the blind spot of the eye as cover to confuse the issue or slight changes in angle of light were making the bird look quite different.
I don't know what the abundance of water pipits is in that area, but does anyone local know if there's been any seen there?
Also, I'm pretty sure there was a raven a little further down the coast. It was comparable in size with the herring gulls and had a shorter, diamond-shaped tail compared to a crow. It didn't stretch its wings out, but kept the outer part bent back as it was in a shallow dive into the wind. It was quite aerobatic as it landed some way along from where it had passed me.
Once again, anyone local know if it's that likely?
I can't post any photos of the rock/water pipit yet as we're on dial-up at the in-laws and have no photo editing software, but hopefully in less than a wek I can.

Cheers,

Tony

I don't know about the pipit but it certainly sounds good for raven, and they are regularly reported all along the coast in Dorset (although I never seem to see them).
Lee Evans, in his finding birds book says that the watercress farm north of warmwell (north of portland and east of dorchester) is good for water pipits but again I've nere seen or heard of them there in recent years and it's not a very easy place to stop and look.

Thanks!
I'll get the photos on when I get back home for the pipit.
I also had a trawl through an old guide my in-laws have and there was a photo of a raven that looked identical to what I'd seen, even down to the way the wings were folded. Nice!

Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back