• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kenfig Redhead. (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
I have just noticed this is a regular returning bird and usually a long stayer. This has prompted me to consider a trip to see it with an overnight stay in Porthcawl.

What I would like to know in all dudishness, is it a safe bet?

Andrew said:
I have just noticed this is a regular returning bird and usually a long stayer. This has prompted me to consider a trip to see it with an overnight stay in Porthcawl.

Pick a nice day with no wind Andrew and you should be OK. Be wary of the hybrid though. Roger

I s'pose I ought to think seriously about this one. Meant to go last winter, but it bugg... er... flew off elsewhere after a few weeks. Not sure I want to see it in eclipe plumage though (very dudish of me, I know).

Andrew said:

Andrew,

I think it is as 'safe' a bet as any; it can disappear sometimes; check http://pub43.bravenet.com/guestbook/3627196539/ for latest sightings.

Kenfig can, and does, turn up some excellent birds (don't forget to walk out to Sker Point, too!); the headlands around Porthcawl itself can be good; a few miles North is Eglwys Nunydd reservoir - almost as good; back along the M4 to J24 then 6 miles South is the Newport Wetlands reserve, newer but already bringing in very good birds (Gwent sightings http://www.gwentbirds.org.uk/ ).

Mmmm, sounds like a good weekend!

Andy.

It does have a tendancy to disapear in the reedbed to the left of the hide for long periods - but will come out when its sunny! There are wintering Bittern seen sometimes from the cut reeds in front of the hide - though i`m not sure when they arrive - i`ve always been down for this bird after christmas...not before

There`s also a Great-white Egret on the Gower penninsular - i`m not sure of the logistics buts its easy enough to do from Porthcawl via Swansea...might be worth checking out

Last edited:
Hi Andrew, I went to see this on sunday, it was showing well in the middle of the pool, even though its still in partial eclipse it still has grey on the back and the red head! The hybrid thing doesnt really look much like it- more ferruginous duck-like.
I would go!

Thanks for the good vibes, I have brushed up and is it right to assume if I see the diagnostic white band on the bill that clinches it or does the hybrid have this too?

Hi All,

I saw 'Redhead at Kenfig' appeared on Birdguides a few days back, but no subsequent reports.

Does anyone know whether the regular bird has returned, or was it a false alarm??

Rgds.... Ruby

It was indeed a false alarm, a miss ID on Fudge Duck x Pochard hybrid i beleive. Give it a couple more weeks though and it should be back.

Dan

dwayne950 said:
It was indeed a false alarm, a miss ID on Fudge Duck x Pochard hybrid i beleive. Give it a couple more weeks though and it should be back.

Dan

Thanks Dan,

Yes. My suspicions were roused!

dwayne950 said:

Dan

I'm not sure this is right!

The finder saw the bird in the previous years and as fart as I know is pretty confident what he saw was the returning Redhead. It was also confidently identified by at least one other birder on Saturday.

Extensive searching by others however, was unsuccessful. Note however, that Kenfig is a large pool and Pochard numbers are building up. They often are out in the middle of the pool far from either hide, or in the south west of the pool where thay can be obscured by reeds for the south hide. Also when they are roosting it can be very, very difficult to pick the Redhead out.

Its also been know to move to Llanilid a few miles to the east.

So, it could be there, but it may be worth checking the posting on http://glamorganbirds.org.uk before making the journay.

Maybe so then, i heard off a couple of people that the report had turned out to be one of the hybrid, that had also been seen in previous years.

Dan

When I went for it last year, it did not give itself up easily.

Took most of the day and a few returns to the pool after a cuppa before finding it.

It was not the hybrid! It was almost certainly the returning bird. Don't know where it's gone at present, but has gone missing for periods in previous winters (several weeks once), so will probably turn up somewhere in South Wales soon. Cosmeston, Llanishen/ Lisvane or Llanilid are all possible sites. It has been seen at all of them before.

By sheer coincidence I spoke to the guy who relocated the Redhead, when I was at Slimbridge the following day. By the sound if it, he's a regular at Kenfig, and knows both the Redhead and the Fudge-type hybrid, and a regular Lesser Scaup type hybrid back to front and inside out. He actually commented that he'd seen a number of people twitching the Redhead over the years ticking the wrong bird...

Anyway, he was pretty confident of the ID, especially after studying the Slimbridge Redheads and checking some fine detail!

Sorry then - I stand corrected. I assumed as this is what i had been told and there were no further reports it was a mis-id.

Cheers,

Dan

Last edited:
i see the Redhead in years go by, but was excited knowing it back at Kenfig this autum. you know it was not seen before this year, not even in the start of january and february.

People make these mistakes with aythya all time and it could be back but I would like more confirmation to be certain with this. You never had 1 day for a Redhead before so could be suspicious if never seen once more.

best regards

Chi-wai

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back