• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spring migration in Port Aransas- how to know when to go? (1 Viewer)

Tired

United States
I want to take a trip down to Port Aransas this spring, both to collect some sea life (mostly snails) for my reef aquarium and to see what I can spot for the spring migration. I'd like to go as close to the peak as possible, and I know that peak time can vary a bit year to year. Is there somewhere I can check to learn when that's likely to be, or is my best bet to check past years and make a guess based off of those?

Also, can anyone recommend a place to stay that has easy access to the Aransas National Wildlife Refuge? I don't need anything fancy, just clean. Though I do appreciate room service.

I don't suppose anyone is planning on birding around there in- is it early April that usually has the peak?

I would just use ebird barcharts for the regions to see where you get peak times for birds you are interested in. Unless you live near enough that you can drop everything and head off when something like birdcast indicates good activity, that is about all you can do...migration is too variable year to year to precisely pick at the single best time. Even if fall out conditions aren't great, there will probably still be plenty of migrants about.

Note, that if you are also interested in Whooping Cranes, they might be starting to head out around April or so, especially later in the month. So best for songbirds might not be best for cranes.

Works for me, thanks.

I saw the Whooping Cranes in November a couple years ago. They're gorgeous birds, but I'm more after the songbirds for this trip, with a side dish of whatever small waterbirds and shorebirds I can find. I'm hoping for a Least Bittern.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back