• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any chance of Golden Eagle? (1 Viewer)

Yashca

Next weekend I will be driving up to Loch of Lowes, Dunkeld, before heading west to the Loch Lomond area. Do I have any chance of Golden Eagle anywhere in this area and, if so, can anyone tell me where best I might concentrate my efforts?

Also, is there anything else anyone would recommend me seeing whilst I'm there? If anyone knows of a Pine Marten feeding station or something like that in this broad area then please let me know.

Last edited:
There's only a few pairs that nest around Loch Lomond, so you'd be better going further north and west into Argyll to see golden eagle. But in most cases, you just have to be lucky to see one.

There's a B&B in Argyll where you can see pine martins, not been there myself, but a work colleague has and she got good views. It's not too far from Knapdale where the beavers have been re-introduced. This is the place: http://www.dunchraigaig.co.uk/3587.html

Hi

When I visited Loch of Lowes I saw a juvenile Goldie near hear(with 5 minutes of the SWT Osprey Centre)! flying at level height with the car with a golf course as a backdrop. After about 100 feet or so it swang with it's massive wingspan and headed right over the golf course! When we found somewhere to stop the bird was quite a bit away as it landed on a dead tree. Probaly the best view of a golden eagle I'll ever get. Even though I had just started birding that year it was so easy to identify as it had large white wing panels on to and below it's wing plus no chance of rough legged buzzard due to it being around May when the osprey's had eggs.

sorry can't help you with pine marten.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back