• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (2 Viewers)

Female Blackbird all puffed out in the cold and Jackdaws...

Attachments

• Blackbird.jpg
    Blackbird.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Jack Preening.jpg
    Jack Preening.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 84
  • Jack 1.jpg
    Jack 1.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Jack 2.jpg
    Jack 2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 87
I think, implausible as it may sound, that you are getting even better. Just a fantastic array of drawings - each catches the essence of the subject - the peckers are as I hope to find them one day and your jackdaw drawings are an abject lesson in observation into creation - lovely work, Alan.

WWOOOWW!!!! Amazing set of drawings!! Because I am partial to waterfow, the tufted ducks and coot would be awesome to see in paint. All of these drawings are incredible though. Very inspiring stuff. Excuse me while I grab a napkin to clean the drool off my chin.

How odd that you've been drawing lesser peckers aswell, I just wish what you've got here was on the pages of my sketchbook! I was thinking the same as Tim, these just get better and better, so much life and character I expect them to jump off the page.

Been working on this Jackdaw canvas today, at a fairly advanced stage at this point. Rather overexposed image due to flash photo, Trying to keep it nice and simple as much as possible. 40cmx40cm.
May put this aside for a few hours as I dont want to overwork it. May start another, bigger piece. Planning paint up the Common Gull and Coot, sketches done this week separately, though want to combine them on the canvas next...

Attachments

• jack1.jpg
    jack1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Beginings of Common Gull and Coot in acrylic. Didnt waste much time here and applied these early water shades in very quickly.

Large canvas this one. 80cmx60cm

Attachments

• IMG_3275.jpg
    IMG_3275.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Progressed this far. Blocked in the birds and added a little tone under the Common Gull. Not sure whether to paint in a rock under the gull or stick with the ice the bird was on in life, will see how it goes. Happy enough so far with it I think. Again I want to keep this fairly loose...

Been a long day painting, going to relax now and watch Laurence Olivier's Count Dracula on TV! Off to get me wine and crisps!

Attachments

• painting.jpg
    painting.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 99
Love the jackdaw, simple has paid off here. The coot and gull is coming along nicely too, just a word if I may, I'm worried the picture will 'split in two' as the two birds are both looking out of the picture. I'd be thinking about making the ice flow/a dark wave/some more coots etc bridge the gap. But then you're in charge so I'll sit back now and I'm looking forward to seeing how you finish this one.

just a word if I may, I'm worried the picture will 'split in two' as the two birds are both looking out of the picture. I'd be thinking about making the ice flow/a dark wave/some more coots etc bridge the gap. But then you're in charge so I'll sit back now and I'm looking forward to seeing how you finish this one.

i agree with nick i think the addition of two more coots on the top right hand corner might do the trick?
I love the simplicity of the jackdaw and your sketches are amazing.

Agree the picture needs more sublects to engage the eye. Toying around with the idea of adding some Tufted Duck or additional coot, though have the sketches to add Tuftie, am a little short of Coot material. Here are a couple of photos of the same pictures taken in proper light...

Attachments

• Jackdaw painting.jpg
    Jackdaw painting.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 95
  • Coot Common.jpg
    Coot Common.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 97
Back to the source, some tufted duck sketches from today. Have decided to add some male Tufted Duck to help balance the composition. Will be using the first drawing, a scratching male and one of the others, most probably a resting male from the last image here....

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 91
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 81
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 87
  • t5.jpg
    t5.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 82
  • t6.jpg
    t6.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
I think this is spot on. Keeps the mood nice and relaxed, but contributes just enough to keep us interested in the scene. Lovely drawings, by the way.

Still a fair way to go on this. Quite a bit to do with the water, reflections, ice block and shading on the birds. Tufties added though, Coot worked up and much happier with it now. Been at this for eight hours, time for bed...
Next post will be the finished painting...

Attachments

• painting.jpg
    painting.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 102
Lovin' this latest work Alan. Your sketches are always superb and the jackdaw painting is wonderful, nice use of negative space there. Coots, gull and tufties is a great composition and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished pic.

Woody

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back