• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is this? Moab, UT USA (1 Viewer)

Katemail13

Southeastern Utah, USA
This little bird was Warbler or Finch-sized, and FAR up in a cottonwood tree, so all I got of him was his little white rump. He had a very pointy beak, and I have no idea what it is.

Thanks for any help!

Katie

Attachments

• NOID_3-8-09_61.jpg
    NOID_3-8-09_61.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 167
This little bird was Warbler or Finch-sized, and FAR up in a cottonwood tree, so all I got of him was his little white rump. He had a very pointy beak, and I have no idea what it is.

Thanks for any help!

Katie

When was the photo taken? In the last few days?

Motmot - I think you may be right! That would be a new lifer for me. Thanks.

Fugl - It was taken this morning. Sorry for not including the date!

Katie

Checking on eBird, there are no records of Black-throated Gray Warbler in Utah or bordering states (Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada) from the first half of March. And there are no Utah records until the beginning of April. There also seems to be a lot of black along the sides and end of the tail for a Black-throated Gray Warbler. It is not a perfect fit, but I think Yellow-rumped Warbler is a possibility here. It would also be MUCH more likely at this time of year.

Unless there are more photos, I think I would leave this one unidentified.

Best,
Jim

Careful with that lifer! I'm not sure 100% sure of this id, in fact this bird also gives me a Myrtle Warbler feeling.

Edit: cross posted with Jim

Last edited:
Just to clarify for the original poster, it should be noted that "Myrtle Warbler" is a subspecies of "Yellow-rumped Warbler".

looks like a black and white warbler too me lol

Not impossible, but it would be outside of its normal range as well as an unusual time of year. (EBird has no records of Black-and-white Warbler for March in the states I checked).

Best,
Jim

Do any of you know a good website that shows pictures of the undersides of warblers?

I know we have Audubon's yellow-rumped warblers at this time of year, because I saw one last year in mid-march. I just am not sure how to differentiate, and my bird book (National Geographic Society 'Field Guide to the Birds of North America' first edition...yes, I know...it's almost as old as I am) is hopelessly out of date.

Also, can anyone recommend a new bird book?

I really do appreciate all the discussion and help!

Katie

Hi Katie,

Field guides have evolved considerably since 1981. And there are a lot of choices. A number of field guides are now designed more as reference works to be used at home. I think there has been a realization that not everything you need to know to identify a bird can be condensed into a compact format. Here are some suggestions:

For reference at home: "The Sibley Guide to Birds" is the state-of-the-art in my opinion in the opinion of many. I do not take any other single book has as much information about how to identify birds. Its only drawback is that it is short on textual explanation and instead emphasizes paintings and diagrams. To make up for the lack of textual explanation as well as get a lot of great ID tips, I recommend combining the Sibley guide with Pete Dunne's "Essential Field Guide Companion". (If you want just one book you might look at the new Peterson guide; National Geographic also has a new guide together with a more elaborate companion guide, or the more compact guides mentioned below.)

For reference in the field: there are compact regional Sibley guides for East and West. This is what I carry in the field now. Many also like the Kauffman guide, which is compact and covers all birds in the US and Canada.

If you want more info, this site has a great discussion of field guide options: http://www.birderslibrary.com/category/reviews/books/

Hope this helps,
Jim

PS: I do not know of any website with the chart you're looking for. The only book I have with that chart is my dedicated Warbler guide, in the Peterson Field guide series.

Last edited:
The tail pattern and other markings fit perfectly for yellow-rumped warber and so does the season for this locality. The other suggestions are not impossible, just improbable.

Scott

I really do appreciate all the discussion and help!Katie

Katiemail:
I am a staunch supporter of the holy church of NatGeo. Hearken ye not unto the infidel! :C (If ye must have a new guide, go forth unto a bookshop, and update thyself unto the current edition!)

On a more serious note, there are some really good books just on warblers, and I own a couple of those.

The one that I think you would really find useful is Warblers by Dunn & Garrett, which is in the Peterson Field Guides series. This has really good plates of all the NA species, showing each one in practically all possible plumages. It even includes two pages that compare under-tail views of all the species covered - just what the doctor ordered! The text is even better than the pictures, having very detailed range information, and a very useful "similar species" paragraph for each bird.

That's my vote for the must practical, useful warbler book; but I also have a sentimental favourite, which is Warblers of the Americas, by Beadle, Curson and Quinn. Doesn't display so many views of different plumages, and is not particularly portable, but it has one big advantage over Dunn & Garratt - it covers all members of the family, not just those that occur North of the Rio Grande. And some of the plates are true works of art. A great book just to browse through (and dream...)

Cheers,
Peter C.

I've just looked at the illustrations of tail undersides in the Dunn and Garrett Warblers guide mentioned above. This photo looks to be a good match for the eastern race of Yellow-rumped Warbler ("Myrtle Warbler").

Though I made the first post in the thread suggesting Yellow-rumped, and still think that is most likely, I just wanted to note that it is a good, but not a perfect fit with the Dunn & Garrett (Peterson) chart IMO. That chart shows the black edges of the sides of the tail becoming thicker and curving around the V-shaped undertail coverts away from the tail tip--in both Myrtle & Audubon's. I don't see that here. Could just be a matter of feather placement, angle, or just variation. But just wanted to explain why I said previously that it was not a perfect fit.

Jim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back