• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Big Gun holster (1 Viewer)

bkrownd

Anybody got a good idea for a side-loading or top-loading bag suitable for rough active hiking that will hold the D80 + 80-400VR ready for action in an instant? I'm not sure that the Velocity 9 is big enough. I've even got to the point of considering finding a nice non-camera bag and reworking it for the task. I guess side-loading would be best, to reduce stress on the lens and lens mount.

Also, what's a source for a quality quick-release METAL lens cap? (a one-turn threaded cap would be fine) I'm always worried that the cheap Nikon plastic lens cap is going to get shoved into the middle of my lens, and the squeeze-grip on it is totally inadequate anyhow.

bkrownd said:
Anybody got a good idea for a side-loading or top-loading bag suitable for rough active hiking that will hold the D80 + 80-400VR ready for action in an instant? I'm not sure that the Velocity 9 is big enough. I've even got to the point of considering finding a nice non-camera bag and reworking it for the task. I guess side-loading would be best, to reduce stress on the lens and lens mount.

Also, what's a source for a quality quick-release METAL lens cap? (a one-turn threaded cap would be fine) I'm always worried that the cheap Nikon plastic lens cap is going to get shoved into the middle of my lens, and the squeeze-grip on it is totally inadequate anyhow.

I would think a metal lens cap could scratch the lens easier that a plastic one if it slipped a bit taking in on/off.

ccsial said:
I would think a metal lens cap could scratch the lens easier that a plastic one if it slipped a bit taking in on/off.

The problem is I'm worried that too much pressure or a sharp blow in the middle of the plastic lens cap will press it into the lens, whereas a metal one wouldn't bend or break. Perhaps just something beefier is enough, but the lens cap that came with the lens makes me very nervous - especially for storing the camera in a top-loading bag.

bkrownd said:
Always pack'n large. Chickies love to see the Big Unit. :t:
You should be so lucky BK what ever next youl be blasting them out of the sky's birds and hippy chicks as well. Think Il just have to join you.

Major never laughed so much in his life.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back