• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Passer domesticus vs passer montanus (1 Viewer)

What's the difference between the female of passer domesticus and passer montanus? if you had a few photos would be very useful too.
Thank you all!

Google Images awaits:t:

Laurie -

My experience is that google gives a lot of misidentified images (or images included because another image on the same page is the species you search for). Better ways to search (nothing is 100%):
Go to our own Opus page for the species (e.g., https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Passer_montanus) and hit the link to search in the BF gallery at the bottom
Go to HBW alive, find the relevant species, and hit the link to the Internet bird collection
Go to Ebird, explore, explore species

Niels

Hi John,

This begs the question why, unlike almost all sparrows, male and female Tree Sparrow aren't distinctly different ....

Interesting question! I wonder if maybe they are actually different if one considers the UV band colouration visible to birds, but not to humans ...

(I once heard that in the case of Blue Tits, male and female birds are actually quite different with respect to the UV component of the "blue" cap ...)

Regards,

Henning

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back