• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Cooper's vs Sharpie? (1 Viewer)

Oldnintheway

United States
I noticed this bird while out walking the dog this morning, 2/29, N.W. Washington, State, U.S.A.DSC_0077.JPGDSC_0117_01.JPG. It stayed put while I ran back to the car and got the camera, and hung around for a pretty good photo shoot. I was sure it was a Sharpie. It appeared small and just had that look. The first few photos seemed agree, but as I progressed through the 130 frames it became more Cooper'sy. Tail feathers appear to be graduated. The face/head changes for me depending on angle. In some pics the back of the neck appears lighter but the pic from behind doesn't bear that out. What say you? TIA, Jim

Attachments

• DSC_0060.JPG
    DSC_0060.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0107.JPG
    DSC_0107.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 26
This posted oddly. Thanks for the quick replies. I was expecting Cooper's. The two pics at the bottom have a Sharpie head/face to my eye. The pic with the tail spread clearly looks Cooper's. I can't get over the rear view and the continuous dark coloring from top down the back. The pics from the front, where the sides are lighter, the light was shining from behind on the neck. I'm used to seeing a clear delineation between the cap and the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back