• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recorder advice (1 Viewer)

Yes, you can transfer for example mp3 files to the LS-11 from your computer.
Create first a sub folder under the folder "MUSIC" and put the mp3 there, i tried it now and it works.

Anders

Yes, you can transfer for example mp3 files to the LS-11 from your computer.
Create first a sub folder under the folder "MUSIC" and put the mp3 there, i tried it now and it works.

Anders

Thanks Anders! Do I have to create the sub folder when the SDCard is at the computer, or do I have to do it on the LS-11?

I created the subfolder from my computer on to the built in memory in the LS-11, so I guees you can do the same with the SD-card still in the LS-11. I haven´t tried it but i would be surprised if it wouldn´t work.

I created the subfolder from my computer on to the built in memory in the LS-11, so I guees you can do the same with the SD-card still in the LS-11. I haven´t tried it but i would be surprised if it wouldn´t work.

Hi Anders, thanks for the info. I have not installed the software yet, and I wonder whether I should at all. But for the moment, I have helped myself by creating the subfolder on the SD Card doing it on the computer.

I still have a lot of learning to do. Would have been nice if I I could transfer the whole set of sounds that I use on my iPod nano (with the Travelsound speaker). But the simple transfer can't be read by the LS-11. So I need to do a listing of mp3 files, I guess.

Hello Swissboy
I haven't installed the sw yet either.
I tried only to transfer one mp3 file.
Why should you not manage to transfer multiple files i wonder.
When using the sd card rec or playing files you must choose sd card as source in the ls-11 meny. I am not sure if you have to do that before transfering files to sd card. Check manual for requirements of files to be played, not every format is supported.

Anders

Sony recorder

Hi all, I today hooked up my PCM -M10 to my Technica shotgun mic. Seems to be working fine. So far I have tried it out reciting Mary had a little Lamb. Now need to try it out on my singing local cardinal!

Hello Swissboy
I haven't installed the sw yet either.
I tried only to transfer one mp3 file.
Why should you not manage to transfer multiple files i wonder.
When using the sd card rec or playing files you must choose sd card as source in the ls-11 meny. I am not sure if you have to do that before transfering files to sd card. Check manual for requirements of files to be played, not every format is supported.

Anders

Transferring multiple mp3 files is no problem. I had tried that with music files, and it worked fine. The problem is that my bird sound collection comes in various folders. And these are not compatible with what the LS-11 does support.

Hi all, I today hooked up my PCM -M10 to my Technica shotgun mic. Seems to be working fine. So far I have tried it out reciting Mary had a little Lamb. Now need to try it out on my singing local cardinal!

I have a HAMA microphone with a 1.5V battery from the time when I tried recording with a tape recorder. But my preliminary tests have been very disappointing. I much prefer the recordings with the built in microphones of my LS-11. Need to test it on real birds though. The HAMA microphone is about 15 years old, so maybe that explains the outcome?

Transferring multiple mp3 files is no problem. I had tried that with music files, and it worked fine. The problem is that my bird sound collection comes in various folders. And these are not compatible with what the LS-11 does support.

That is strange...pdf-manual in page 20 states you can have 128 subfolders (layer 1) in the Music-folder. In each subfolder you can 200 files and have more subfolders (layer 2) and files in those..

Maybe you have too many levels of subfolders (level 3 or more) in your collection that is not allaowed ?
Maybe there are some restrictions in format how to name files & folders to be accepted in LS-11...

Question about the Sony pcm

Hi all again, having lots of fun playing with my new PCM. When I record using my directional mic and play it back thru a RadioShak speaker, it get plenty of volume (more than enough for the field). However when I try to play back using the built in speaker on the recorder I get barely more than a whisper. Any ideas what, if anything, is going wrong? Is this normal?

H

Hi all again, having lots of fun playing with my new PCM. When I record using my directional mic and play it back thru a RadioShak speaker, it get plenty of volume (more than enough for the field). However when I try to play back using the built in speaker on the recorder I get barely more than a whisper. Any ideas what, if anything, is going wrong? Is this normal?

H
I tried making a voice recording on mine last night, using the internal mics. I used the Hi/5 level as I normally do, and then made a similar recording on my iPhone. Playback at maximum level was noticeably louder on the iPhone.

I don't know if that's a good enough comparison to tell you if what you're getting is normal or not. I'd need to play one of your recordings for a better comparison. I wouldn't call it a whisper, but it's not that great.

I assume you've turned the playback level up to maximum?

What is hi5?
I set the Mic Sens control to Hi, and the Rec Level wheel to 5. I'd get greater volume if I recorded with the wheel on a higher level of course, but I find there's danger of sounds hitting the peak level if I do. It depends on one's microphones, but I find that works for mine, and the internal ones.

Quick comparison of playback volumes of recorders to hand:

Placed side by side - internal mics - volumes adjusted to just peaking.

Playbacks on maximum playback volume.

Loudest Tascam DR-40 some distortion on peaks.
Close behind Yamaha Pocketrak PR7 almost as loud but distortion far worse than DR-40.
Considerably less volume Olympus LS-11 but no distortion.
A bit behind this comes the Sony PCM M10 - full playback volume 30 - no distortion.
A fourth recorder was excluded as it appears the manufacturer decided that it was a pointless exercise to include a speaker at all.

Pulling the volumes of the PR7 and DR-40 back to eliminate housing rattle and distortion results in the PR7 approximating to the LS-11 the DR-40 still being the loudest on playback by far and probably the only one that was comfortable to listen to if there was any background noise.

Obviously the DR-40 has no 3.5mm mic input, only xlr so perhaps should be excluded.

To be honest I had to look up how to enable the speakers etc,. as I never use them, but it confirms that the M10 has the weakest speaker. Balancing this out of course is that it has the best pre-amps from the point of view of floor noise against gain meaning that it gives me a clearer and louder recording for any given 3,5mm microphone in my collection. A bit of swings and roundabouts.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back