• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id Needed (1 Viewer)

J D Birdman has identified it as Wahlberg's Eagle, I am happy with like so have amended the title of the pic accordingly. I see from my book also that he is right.

Thanks for all help

TwoBoy

I agree with Jon on this one. It's a Tawny, not a Wahlberg's. First, it has a rather "bright plumage" (typical juv. Tawny), though this doesn't exclude Wahlberg's for certain (the common Wahlberg's morph is very dark brown). It also has the dark secondaries and greater wing coverts with a pale edge - a typical feature of juv. (and to a lesser degree ad.) Tawny and allies. Furthermore, bill size/shape fits better with Tawny. Note the comparably smaller bill of Wahlberg's, probably in part what confused people in the other thread with the pale Wahlberg's that several called a Buteo. Gape lenght excludes Steppe. These fellows are difficult when perched!

Last edited:
Tawny ID

Sorry to be so brief on these IDs. I haven't got a lot of time to go into a lenthy explanation at the moment (promise I will in the future) but, Rasmus sums it up well here. I lived in Jo'berg for a year and spent most weekends birding in the 'velt'.

Jon

Rasmus Boegh said:
I agree with Jon on this one. It's a Tawny, not a Wahlberg's. First, it has a rather "bright plumage" (typical juv. Tawny), though this doesn't exclude Wahlberg's for certain (the common Wahlberg's morph is very dark brown). It also has the dark secondaries and greater wing coverts with a pale edge - a typical feature of juv. (and to a lesser degree ad.) Tawny and allies. Furthermore, bill size/shape fits better with Tawny. Note the comparably smaller bill of Wahlberg's, probably in part what confused people in the other thread with the pale Wahlberg's that several called a Buteo. Gape lenght excludes Steppe. These fellows are difficult when perched!

OK Guys

Now I am thoroughly confused and all is as clear as mud to me.

Score so far:

Wahlberg's: Andy?, Joern?, JD Birdman+ - 2 maybe's and a plus

Tawny: Jon+, Rasmus+, W.Coast raptor+ - 3 plus'

Tawny wins for now until someone jumps on me.

Doug

Hi Doug

As you have realised these small eagles are not easy to id and in many cases you are
looking a subtle differences of shape and colour.

For this one, I would go along with Tawny. Most of the dark phase Wahlberg's that
I have seen are more of a chocolate brown, and this one is more "tawny".

You do have some great photographs and that will undeoubtedly help your id in the future.

Cheers

Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back