• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swiftlet on Nest, Sumatra (1 Viewer)

JLS

Hi,

I took this photo in a cave near Bukit Lawang, northern Sumatra in January.
Is there any hope of identifying this bird?
I have no idea what species it could be.

Thank you!
Jan

Attachments

• Swiftlet.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 40
I don't think that is very likely, it should not occur there according to the birdlife distribution map. The most commonly reported swiftlet from there seems to be Cave swiftlet, but I don't have any book/fieldguide that describes the nests. From the pictures on the internet I'd say it's possible, but I'm really not sure...

I think Cave or Glossy Swiftlet (I'm not clear what the distribution of these is) is a possibility. It looks quite dark above and pale below. The moss in the nest may not be a problem, as there are pictures of Glossy nests constructed using moss: http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_Image_ID=57981&Bird_ID=568&Bird_Family_ID=&Location=

Could also be that the moss is very fresh so more visible but we also assume, that images are all correctly ID'd which is far from guaranteed on Google!

A

Last edited:
Hi all,
think this is the more widespread, glossy swiftlet. This is the bird that probably embraces at least, Northern Sumatra, The Peninsula and most of Borneo. The problem is, that this more widespread type fractures into many other described forms. In any case these forms are not directly related to Mossy, and the issue we have here. Mossy-nest generally produces a neater "glass slipper" nest but it does contain impurities like moss and other detritus. The deeply glossed blue bird in the OP, is typical of esculenta and it's more untidy nest. One needs to examine the feet closely to be absolutely sure. A lot of the older field guides illustrate to my eye the dark and truly white Pacific form from the days when they were all as one. Surely though in some field conditions even the widespread form can look very whitish underneath in the ephemeral way of these birds. I know some of my observations are deeply flawed however because apart from the odd stab at Himalayan Swift, I can usually only recognise, glossy, ENS and BNS away from the nesting caves.

White belly = Plume-toed (what was Glossy) Swiftlet. Bukit Lawang is relatively low, so Linchi (Cave) Swiftlet can be discounted by probability as it only occurs, on current knowledge, in the mountains of Sumatra.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back