• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cairns, Australia, Esplanade Waders October 2018 (1 Viewer)

alring

I've got the small waders in front as Red-necked Stint and the larger ones behind as Great Knot , I am struggling with the intermediate sized bird , between the two groups . Any help (or corrections) gratefully received .
alring

Attachments

• DSC03320-resize.jpg
    DSC03320-resize.jpg
    509.1 KB · Views: 104
I'm not entirely sure on this picture, but I think it may be a Broad-billed Sandpiper. It's only just larger than the stints, with a well-marked head pattern and quite a long bill.

There are also a few Curlew Sandpipers among the Great Knot at the back - mostly at the back of the flock in the top left corner of the photo, but also one near the water on the right hand side (look for the black legs and slender bills).

Bird in the second row coming down and second from the right looks to be an intermediate sized wader. Also the bird standing in the water just right of centre, doesn't look like a RNS.

If ypou look at the bird on the front row, in front of the mystery bird, the head is at a similiar angle to the camera. The bird is less in focus and more washed-out looking. But to me the head pattern and bill look fairly similar. Be interesting for someone to do the measury thing. I'm still not convinced it's not another RNS. If you look at the bird between them, it's head looks at least the same size as the mystery bird to me. I think there's size illusion at play here.

Last edited:
It's a Red-necked Stint as others have said

Bill is too short and narrow for a Broad-billed - there's shadow that could be causing confusion. No sign of their distinctive head pattern either

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back