• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lenscoat. Opinions sought please. (1 Viewer)

Martin Thomas

Retired student
I'm considering purchasing a Lenscoat for my 100-400 IS and 1.4x converter but before I take the plunge I just wondered whether any users have any comments about the product?

I haven't found anywhere cheaper inthe UK than Warehouse Express (unless someone knows otherwise!).

Thanks in advance.

Martin

I'm considering purchasing a Lenscoat for my 100-400 IS and 1.4x converter but before I take the plunge I just wondered whether any users have any comments about the product?

I haven't found anywhere cheaper inthe UK than Warehouse Express (unless someone knows otherwise!).

Thanks in advance.

Martin
Can you put lenscoat on the pump action zoom?

Thanks in advance.

Martin

I have just ordered from http://www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk/ after good conversations with them. If you can hang on a week or so will happily trial it out!

Can you put lenscoat on the pump action zoom?

I have one on my 100-400, bit of a waste. Only good when you have it fully closed, when zoomed out the white shows. Only have it because someone bought it for me.
Lisa

Lenscoats are a total waste. You will blend in perfectly well without one. I'm a hunter, and animals key on movement. Be still, be silent. I would never waste my money on any sort of camoflage.

I have one on my 100-400, bit of a waste. Only good when you have it fully closed, when zoomed out the white shows. Only have it because someone bought it for me.
Lisa
That was my point earlier on in the thread Lisa.

Lisa

Didi got one of these for her 100-400 and it was pretty obvious that the zoom made it a bit superfluous. My idea was to get a pair of tights and cut off a section of the leg and attach it to the two bits of Lenscoat either side of the exposed bit of tube. Then the tube is covered when extended and the tights can crumple up when its closed.

I even bought her a pair of camo tights, but she decided that she'd prefer them for wearing! All a bit academic now as she's bought a 500 f4

Dare I mention that I use an long green walking boot sock,with the tip of the foot cut off to enable the sock to slide over the lens..The heel part fits snugly over the tripod mount ring and stretches up and down the 100-400 and covers the 400F5.6 perfectly.

Not at all Christine. Whatever solution you use to cover up the white (what an idiotic idea, whoever first thought of it should be committed) is great if it works effectively.

That said though I think a lot of people here are missing the point of a Lenscoat, yes it comes in camo material but I believe it's main purpose is to protect the body from scratches and marks which is a great relief if you're clambering through a bramble patch!

Thanks for all the replies and opinions. I must say it's protection that I'm looking for over being covert! I did wonder of it might help to keep the lens a little warmer too (if only to the touch) in colder weather.

I must admit I like the sock idea and wonder whether the Goretex waterproof ones might be worth trying (affordable from Army Surplus shops or on EBay)?

Have to agree with Jaff-its more protection and padding. More comfortable to hold too.
Can be fiddly to fit (at least with my 300mm Nikkor) and the Neoprene does smell a bit at first.

That said though I think a lot of people here are missing the point of a Lenscoat, yes it comes in camo material but I believe it's main purpose is to protect the body from scratches and marks which is a great relief if you're clambering through a bramble patch!

Hey but looks dead cool as well!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back