• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Double id Kenya. (1 Viewer)

Bac_77

Hi i have some doubt about 2 birds photographed in Kenia in oct 2014.
The weaver photo is taken in Watamu on the coast.
I think could be african golden weaver....probably a female....?

The bustard photo taken in Tsavo east.... also this maybe is a female?..... hartlaub's?

Thank you bye Marco.

Attachments

• african-golden-weaver.jpg
    african-golden-weaver.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 73
  • _bustard.jpg
    _bustard.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 81
I have no experience with East Africa, but going there in March so might as well practice now:

I'd suggest the bustard could be either Hartlaub's or Buff-crested.

The weaver could be African Golden-weaver.

Last edited:
Looking at my "Birds of Kenya and Northern Tanzania" bird field guide, I would be inclined to go with an immature male Hartlaub's Bustard.
African Golden Weaver is probably a good call for the other bird.

The Black-bellied Bustard should be the default species in most areas (shouldn't it?), and the neck looks finely vermiculated to me (like Black-bellied should). I don't know if the eye colour really/always differs between Hartlaub's and Black-bellied, but in some plates in field guides (eg Birds of East Africa) Hartlaub's shows lighter/white-yellow eyes and Black-bellied darker/orange-red.

The Weaver is an Eastern Golden Weaver (Ploceus subaureus).

Joakim

The Black-bellied Bustard should be the default species in most areas (shouldn't it?)

Not in Tsavo for instance. It's a Hatlaub's all right: spotted crown, pale "spikes" on the back and lack of extensive dark centres to upper mantle feathers are good pointers.

The Weaver is an Eastern Golden Weaver (Ploceus subaureus).

Agree on Ploceus subaureus. But where does "Eastern" come from? Is it just an alternate name for African golden weaver? Or has Ploceus subaureus been split?

Thanks for your comments Tib!

How about this one (from Serengeti Tanzania)?

All the best

Joakim

PS. The name is from the IOC-list.

Attachments

• Bustard_1.jpg
    Bustard_1.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Bustard_2.jpg
    Bustard_2.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Thanks again!

I started to use names from the IOC list in this forum because Nutcracker told me so :)

All the best!

Joakim

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back