• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your opinion on poster's opinion (1 Viewer)

steveo

King Midas in reverse
United States
I go back and forth on this . Do you think it is better for the original poster on an Id q & a to give their opinion on what species the bird in question is. Or just to post the time, place, photo and field observations and that is it. I'm starting to think the latter because it is a cleaner start for the people on the Id ing end. A clear pallete if you will.

Last edited:
I go back and forth on this . Do you think it is better for the original poster on an Id q & a to say their opinion on what species the bird in question is. Or just to post the time, place, photo and field observations and that is it. I'm starting to think the latter because it is a cleaner start for the people on the Id ing end. A clear pallete if you will.

I think in any situation I can imagine, Steveo has the right idea on this; whether or not the original poster has a suspicion about the identity of the subject bird, people posting should be going on only what is in the photo - plus any further written clues, behavioural or otherwise - rather than having any preconceived ideas.

Peter C.

I think in any situation I can imagine, Steveo has the right idea on this; whether or not the original poster has a suspicion about the identity of the subject bird, people posting should be going on only what is in the photo - plus any further written clues, behavioural or otherwise - rather than having any preconceived ideas.

Peter C.

That's probably a good idea, unless you read all the other posts before making reaching your own conclusion. Generally I try to ID the bird before reading anything other than the location and date.

Scott

That's probably a good idea, unless you read all the other posts before making reaching your own conclusion. Generally I try to ID the bird before reading anything other than the location and date.

Scott

I agree,

When I post some of my ID threads I try not to say what I think it is because I don't want to influence somebody else's decision because of what I said. In a sense so that they do not go, "that IS what it looks like!"

I also do that Scott, when I open the thread I scroll all the way up or cover the bottom of the screen with my hand so that I can guess without seeing the answer.

-Matt

People are going to make posts however they want regardless of how anyone else thinks they should make their post. Just observe the frequent lack of location in the title despite a "sticky" (which nobody ever reads anyway) asking for that information. I think that posting however you want is the way it should be.

Jack

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back