• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duck id possible? Pokhara, Nepal, Nov 30, 2023 (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

This is a very poor photo, but the combination of dark head and back and lighter sides (but not white), and dark rump suggest to me a female or non-adult tufted duck. There appears to be some streaking on the side, which I think supports tufted duck. The rump does not appear to have a mallard shape, to me :) The only other waterfowl with that side pattern is the very rare, for this area, Baer's Pochard, which also has a white rump I think (according to Helm's Birds of Nepal). Does a tufted duck seem at all reasonable? Is it at all possible to id what species this is from this photo? This is the only photo as I decided they were to far away to get a photo that could help with ID:)
This was taken in the Phewa Lake wetlands at the west end of Phewa Lake, at Pokhara, Nepal. The wetlands are basically rice fields (which had just been harvested when I was there), with creeks or natural "canals" running through them to the lake.
All comments, criticisms and corrections sought and appreciated.
thank you in advance
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1c26.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1c26.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 59
Why are you wondering if it's not a tufted duck? It looks fine.
This is the only photo as I decided they were to far away to get a photo that could help with ID
You (we) would have been better off with a worse/more-distant photo that was side-on.

Thank you Bewick and Butty.
Not much experience with tufted ducks, and very capable at making very outrageous identifications:). Thanks for your ID. Good point for me to keep in mind next time I am out taking poor photos:)
thanks again, as always much appreciated
steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back