• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lightweight binoculars (1 Viewer)

Jampots

I'm looking for some advice on buying lightweight binoculars, with weight rather than size being the important feature as I suffer from a lot of pain in my right arm at times.
Currently I use compact Pentax 10x24 UCF, but the view doesn't seem to be as clear as I feel it could be and I wondered if better options were available. They weigh 360g excluding the strap, and I would be very reluctant to try using anything heavier. It's not the weight-around-the-neck, but actually holding bins steady up to my eyes which causes difficulties. I have a scope that I use in hides.
Any help would be appreciated. My apologies if this has been previously discussed in a thread but my searches failed to locate it if it has.
Thanks
Jampots

I'm quite happy with my teeny little Zeiss 8x20 Victory Compacts. Very sharp resolution, but of course with such a small objective and exit pupil, they are best in fairly bright conditions.

Best,
Bill

pduxon said:
Hi Jampots

do you have a budget in mind?

Yes - sorry, missed out that bit! Willing to spend up to 500 pounds or thereabout - provided that gets me an improvement in quality! (Hubby's feeling generous for Christmas!!) :clap: My pentax's were about 70 pounds, 8 years ago.

Olympus 8 x 25 PC1

Jampots said:
I'm looking for some advice on buying lightweight binoculars, with weight rather than size being the important feature as I suffer from a lot of pain in my right arm at times.
Currently I use compact Pentax 10x24 UCF, but the view doesn't seem to be as clear as I feel it could be and I wondered if better options were available. They weigh 360g excluding the strap, and I would be very reluctant to try using anything heavier. It's not the weight-around-the-neck, but actually holding bins steady up to my eyes which causes difficulties. I have a scope that I use in hides.
Any help would be appreciated. My apologies if this has been previously discussed in a thread but my searches failed to locate it if it has.
Thanks
Jampots

Jampots

I tried an Olympus 8 x 25 PC1 compact recently and this weighed 280g Bak 4 prisms and twist up eyecups nice build quality for the price point
The view was very crisp and field was wide for a compact (the adjustable cups can help vary this for some) Overall a really excellent lowish priced binocular £69 via Hilton Photographic group worth a look and lower weight than your Pentax

richt

Ah right. Well done hubby!!

well definitely go along somewhere and look at all the big names and compare them to what you've got!

Leica, Nikon, Zeiss and Swaro all do compacts, the new Ultravids are the most expensive at about £350. I've no idea how good they are though. Opticrons new DBA Oasis compacts might be worth a look, a little cheaper than the big names - they have a wapping fov 7.5 degrees a bit heavier but still lighter than the Pentaxes

I've looked through the Nikon HG 8x20 - very nice and all that but I found the eye cups too small and anyway a bit expensive for something that sits in the car for family strolls ;) I use the Delta BGA 8x24 which I believe is identical to the Opticron BGATPC and is very light

Warehouseexpress have the weights on them and here are the 8x, the 10x may weigh a bit more

Delta 8x24 BGA 240
Leica 8x20 BCA 235
Leica Ultravid 8x20 255
Nikon HGL 8x20 270
Opticron BGAT 8x24 240
Opticron DBA 8x21 330
Swaro 8x20BN 215
Zeiss 8x20 Classic 180
Zeiss 8x20 Victory 225

None of these are as good as a full size but if you can't use a full size......

I've included a link to a review of the Nikon's and Zeiss.

http://www.betterviewdesired.com/compacts/index.html

at a slightly cheaper price the Opticron Taiga LE8x25 weigh 267g and are cracking value for £89

Last edited:
I bought a pair of Zeiss Victory Compact 8 x 20 from Cameraland in New York for 320 US$ about a month ago. They replace a pair of Nikon 8 x 21 Venturer compacts that I've had for 15 years. They cost 5 x as much as the Nikons but the clarity, edge to edge sharpness, ergonomics and brightness are impressive. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

pduxon said:
Ah right. Well done hubby!!

well definitely go along somewhere and look at all the big names and compare them to what you've got!
Thanks a lot for all the info - I'm now in the process of looking up your suggestions, and have some idea of what to look at tomorrow.

SteveT said:
I bought a pair of Zeiss Victory Compact 8 x 20 from Cameraland in New York for 320 US$ about a month ago. They replace a pair of Nikon 8 x 21 Venturer compacts that I've had for 15 years. They cost 5 x as much as the Nikons but the clarity, edge to edge sharpness, ergonomics and brightness are impressive. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

I'd endorse Steve's opinion; I recently looked through a pair of these and was amazed at the view and they handled well.

Well, the Minoltas I suggested are not in this league, but I like them for the good field of view, for 25mm.

I still recommend porros over roof prisms for light weight.

You might consider the Optolyth Alpin 8X30. I think it may be the lightest of all midsized binoculars at 400g. I've never seen a pair, but in the early days of BVD it was Stephen Ingraham's favorite midsized bin.

Of all the compacts I've tried the Swarovski 8x20s stood out as the best, optically they seemed much better than the other big name compacts (though I've not tried the new Leicas).

Only other thing I'd suggest looking through is the Opticron Travellers 8x32 - they may be a bit heavy at 460g, but they are an excellent midsize binocular.

I strongly suggest taking a look at this discussion:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=15675&referrerid=6625

I gave my opinion on the Nikon 8x20HG and was out using it again this weekend. Even after over six months the performance still amazes me.

There is now a lightweight version (HGL) but it is considerably more expensive and only 5 grammes lighter than the original (Warehouse express info.)

From what I understand the optics etc. remain unchanged.

Ace Optics in Bath and Warehouse Express advertise the original 8x20HG at £229.

Good luck with your decision!

Jeff.

Silly season's greetings.

Wonder if it might be worth searching for a binocular you could use satisfactorily with just your left hand? You'd probably want good-sized eyecups which rest securely against your eye sockets and a well positioned focus ring. It would help if you were prepared to step down from the 10x magnification you are used to. A lower power would help you hold a steady image, reduce the frequency with which you would need to refocus, and most likely yield a bigger exit pupil aiding alignment of the image with your eyes.

If you really must keep below 360g/12.5ozs, then that really eliminates so-called mid-size models as well as models which are somewhere between mid-size and true compacts (like Swift Trilyte Compact and Pentax DCF MP).

Between Leica, Nikon, Swarovski and Zeiss there seem to be six different 8x20 designs available at the moment as regards ergonomics. As regards reverse porros, the Swift Trekkers mentioned in the BVD review are available from acecameras.co.uk Not many UK retailers seem to stock the venerable B&L/Bushnell Custom 7x26. If this is a “customised Custom”, it may be worth looking at :
http://www.monkoptics.co.uk/Compacts/explorer.html

Jampots said:
Thanks
Jampots

Top end compact roof prism binoculars are lovely but you pay in part for the compactness. I don't think you lose much by going to a decent compact porro prism binocular. I tried the B&L Legend (8x24?) and thought the view was very good. I did not do careful side by side testing with others though and I would advise you to do that. At about £100 they are a bargain. There is I think a B&L inverted porro 8x24 that has a good wide field of view. The only problem is that compact porro prism binoculars are significantly larger than equivalent roof prism ones and require a large pocket for storage. But for you that should not matter.

I think the Zeiss Conquest 8x30 is quite light, but much higher in price. Mind you they should give a much brighter image than an ~8x20.

Jampots said:
Thanks
Jampots

As weight rather than size is most important, I would steer clear of pocket sized bins. I have a pair of Leica 8x20 BCA and although they are really small, they are no use for serious birding because they don't have the resolving power of full-sized binocular. Of the pocket-bins I'd say the Nikon 8x20 is probably the best. I'd suggest looking at the Zeiss 8x30 Conquest as per Leif.

Rich.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back