• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdingcrafts 2014 Costa Rica list (1 Viewer)

After several evenings of listening for nocturnal flight calls, I finally heard one and it was a good one for the year- 606 Upland Sandpiper- uncommon migrant in CR, I have heard it at night in the past. Since CR has such a small area of space to fly through, that bird could easily be in Colombia by the morning.
607 Dickcissel- heard a couple of these fly by in the morning the other day. I usually hear and see a few fly by the house each fall migration.

Several new year birds and one new country bird from a 3 day trip to the Manzanillo area:

608 Mississippi Kite
609 Peregrine Falcon
610 Vermiculated Screech-Owl
611 Central American Pygmy-Owl
612 Common Nighthawk
613 Great Potoo
614 Bronzy Hermit
615 Brown-capped Tyrannulet
616 Black-capped Pygmy-Tyrant
617 Yellow-margined Flycatcher
618 Least Flycatcher
619 Purple-throated Fruitcrow
620 Purple Martin
621 Veery- new for my country list!
622 Gray-cheeked Thrush
623 Magnolia Warbler
624 Sulphur-rumped Tanager
625 Scarlet Tanager

Four more species from a weekend trip to Tortuguero:

626 Rufescent Tiger-Heron- rare in CR and a long overdue species for my country list!
627 Sungrebe- We had excellent looks at two different birds, Tortuguero is a great place for it.
628 Bay-breasted Warbler- starting to migrate through.
629 Yellow-billed Cuckoo- migrating through now as well, the coast is a good place to find one or two.

High quality additions to the year list from birding on the high slopes of Irazu Volcano:

630 Maroon-chested Ground-Dove- vies with Hudsonian Godwit for best bird of the year. Always super tough to find, thankfully, a male sang long enough for us to get excellent looks. Not a lifer but the last and only time I have seen this species was in 1994 on Chirripo Mountain in Costa Rica.
631 Mourning Dove- rather overshadowed by the other dove...
632 Bare-shanked Screech-Owl- expected pre dawn on Irazu.
633 Unspotted Saw-whet Owl- this is the time of the year to get them. We heard 3 different birds but couldn't see them.
634 Peg-billed Finch- just one.
635 Lesser Goldfinch

and also, 636, the American Pygmy Kingfisher that I forgot to mention from Tortuguero.

More year birds from 2 days around wetland and dry forest. Tried as we did, Robert, Susan, and I could not find a Spotted Rail. That was no big surprise as the species seems to be pretty rare in Costa Rica. However, I was happy to get 3 new country species, several for the year, and nice looks at Jabiru, Double-striped Thick-Knee, Spot-breasted Oriole, Long-billed Curlew, and lots more.

637 Harris's Hawk
638 Redhead- only made it onto the CR list a few years ago. Great find!
639 Ring-necked Duck
640 American Kestrel
641 Plain Chachalaca
642 American Avocet- casual vagrant.
643 Surfbird
644 Red Knot
645 Wilson's Snipe
646 Mangrove Cuckoo
647 Lesser Nighthawk
648 Spot-breasted Oriole
649 Tricolored Munia

5 new birds for the year and one addition to my CR list after a few days around Arenal:

650 American Dipper- actually from Virgen del Socorro.
651 Hooded Warbler
652 Yellow-breasted Chat- finally, another one for my CR list! This is a really tough wintering species in CR.
653 Gray Catbird
654 White-fronted Nunbird- got it at Finca Luna Nueva during the Arenal Christmas count.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back