• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arenal Costa Rica, Mistico Hanging Bridges ID help (2 Viewers)

Tonkin14

Hello, I'm going through my early June photos from Mistico Arenal in Costa Rica and am hoping for some ID help. Thank you!

First five photos, woodcreeper sp, maybe at least one Wedge-billed?
2, Blue-gray Tanager?
3, Black-throated Trogon?
5, Warbler sp?
6, female Rufous-Winged Tanager?
8, 12, female tanagers?

Attachments

• Mistico 11.JPG
    Mistico 11.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 32
  • Mistico 2.JPG
    Mistico 2.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 33
  • Mistico 3.JPG
    Mistico 3.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 31
  • Mistico 5.JPG
    Mistico 5.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 34
  • Mistico 6.JPG
    Mistico 6.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 33
  • Mistico 8.JPG
    Mistico 8.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 33
  • Mistico 12.JPG
    Mistico 12.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 32
  • Mistico 4.JPG
    Mistico 4.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 31
  • Mistico 7.JPG
    Mistico 7.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 29
  • Mistico 9.JPG
    Mistico 9.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 30
  • Mistico 10.JPG
    Mistico 10.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 31
1-4: probably all wedge-billed. 4, 7 definitely
2 or palm tanager. Lighten the image to be sure (e.g. look for blackish palm wings or paler lower mandible on blue-grey
3 Don't know how we distinguish this from gartered trogon. Perhaps (?) better for gartered given bluish back ?

1-4: probably all wedge-billed. 4, 7 definitely
2 or palm tanager. Lighten the image to be sure (e.g. look for blackish palm wings or paler lower mandible on blue-grey
3 Don't know how we distinguish this from gartered trogon. Perhaps (?) better for gartered given bluish back ?
Strange, because I see greenish on lower back in contrast to blue tail which would make no 3 a Black-throated?

Agree on the wedge-billed
Niels

Strange, because I see greenish on lower back in contrast to blue tail which would make no 3 a Black-throated?
Well I was going only by Vallely & Dyer illustrations. They say nothing about this and neither does Garrigues. (I perhaps wrote the wrong thing: point is really the colour contrast in the rump area cf black-throated.) If this isn't a way to distinguish them, then best left un-id'd

compare these images
I see the OP image 3 as closer to the first than to the second which is why I felt Black-throated was the best bet. However, possibility still exists that a similar contrast can be shown by Gartered.
Niels

Unfortunately, that's the only image I have of the trogon. I appreciate the discussion of illustrations. I suggested black-throated because I saw the same greenish lower back, but maybe that's not actually a significant difference.

Any thoughts on the images labeled 5, 6, 8, and 12?

Agree with you that 5 looks like a warbler. It is a recent fledgling. Could possibly be one of the Yellowthroats?
12 could be a female cherrie/passerini type?
Niels

I wasn't sure about 5. If it is a warbler a yellowthroat would be the obvious choice at that time of year. However, there wasn't an clear match for me. (The image has a greenlet vibe---but the bill is wrong.) It also "feels" a bit like a manakin. I couldn't see an image of one this young: if it is, best guess is white-ruffed given greyish face and legs. It does have a big eye...

6,8,12. Looks like an ant-tanager. I think that must mean female red-crowned there

I wasn't sure about 5. If it is a warbler a yellowthroat would be the obvious choice at that time of year. However, there wasn't an clear match for me. (The image has a greenlet vibe---but the bill is wrong.) It also "feels" a bit like a manakin. I couldn't see an image of one this young: if it is, best guess is white-ruffed given greyish face and legs. It does have a big eye...

6,8,12. Looks like an ant-tanager. I think that must mean female red-crowned there
Ant-tanager looks right! I think it looks like red-throated rather than red-crowned is in the Arenal range. 6 is very much green-my best guess is female rufous-winged, but the awkward butt shot doesn't leave me very confident.

Agree with you that 5 looks like a warbler. It is a recent fledgling. Could possibly be one of the Yellowthroats?
12 could be a female cherrie/passerini type?
Niels
Here is another angle of number 5, though a poor photo.

Attachments

• DSC_3858.JPG
    DSC_3858.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 10
Here is another angle of number 5, though a poor photo.
Still not sure what this is but it's not obviously a tanager with this bill.

(And yes perhaps I misread the list for the area; red-throated ant-tanager. These are difficult from a photo, a bit easier in the field)

Thank you for all these IDs. I'm still trying to work out the ID of Mistico 6. Could it be a female Rufous-Winged Tanager?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back