• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Audio, N Devon, June 13th (1 Viewer)

LowellMills

Is this your Sanderling?
Thick scrub between mitigation pond of old power station, and pastoral farmland.

This song stopped me in my tracks for its resemblance in phrasing (less so in voice) to Common Redstart, a good bird for the patch. I believe I know, and partially saw, the culprit, but wonder if anyone else will arrive at same conclusion as me unprompted. I'm reluctant to write it off as the common bird I saw in the right position. Thoughts welcome, thanks!

Last edited:
Wow! I heard Blackcap within a metre or two of the sound recorded, in very similar voice and quality and never at the same time. I then had a visual of the back half of what I also IDd as a Blackcap. I really couldn't imagine it being more than a very interesting Blackcap song but I have heard thousands and now I know why I've never heard one like it.

Lesser Whitethroat is a good bird for that area and suits that habitat perfectly. I've seen a few in the hand but have not to my memory heard one singing in the field.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back