• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdingcrafts 2014 Costa Rica list (1 Viewer)

New species from a family trip that included a bit of birding at Curi-Cancha Reserve in the Monteverde area (much recommended!) and Puntarenas.
518 Sanderling- yep, still needed that one!
519 Franklin's Gull- a few nice flocks of migrating birds at Puntarenas.
520 Sandwich Tern
521 Chesnut-colored Woodpecker- this from last week near La Selva.
522 Eastern Wood Pewee- lots of migrants now.
523 Three-wattled Bellbird- several at Monteverde but just one female seen.
524 White-throated Thrush
525 White-lined Tanager- another one I forgot to include from birding near La Selva last week!
526 White-naped Brush Finch

Fantastic day of coastal birding in Costa Rica today with at least 2 new species for my country list, one of which might be the second or third record for Costa Rica. New additions for the year:

527 Yellow-crowned Night Heron- yep, still needed it.
528 Rufous-necked Wood Rail- nice looks at Mata de Limon.
529 American Golden Plover
530 Collared Plover
531 Wilson's Plover
532 Semipalmated Plover
533 Hudsonian Godwit- Just one or two records for Costa Rica as far as I know. Nice mega for the country, shame it didn't hang around. We saw it take wing and fly north.
534 Baird's Sandpiper- new country bird for me!
535 Greater Yellowlegs
536 Lesser Yellowlegs
537 Marbled Godwit
538 Semipalmated Sandpiper
539 Pectoral Sandpiper
540 Stilt Sandpiper
541 Wilson's Phalarope
542 Gull-billed Tern
543 Caspian Tern
544 Black Skimmer
545 Bank Swallow
546 Red-winged Blackbird

A friend called me the other day to tell me about a pair of roosting Tropical Screech Owls near her house. She said grackles were mobbing them so I figured I would wait and see if they were still around the following day. Also had a list of things to do, so, said goodbye and got back to work. Half an hour later, she sends me crazy close images of the owls and says that the grackles had left. That did it. Grabbed my stuff and out the door I went. After tail gating a super slow car that couldn't be passed (and was driven by a mindless driver who didn't hesitate to scoot right around a stopped bus in a no passing zone on a blind curve - par for the course in Costa Rica), I eventually made it to Susan's suburban neighborhood. She led me to the owls and said, "Look what joined them".

A fantastic, young and fuzzy baby owl filled the view of my scope. After sharing time with the owls and taking a bunch of pictures, I got back in the car, zoomed back home sans slow drivers in the way and remembered that it was bird 547 for 2014.

Was listening to The Damned while posting this..need to do that more often.

Attachments

• Tropical Screech-Owl 1.jpg
    Tropical Screech-Owl 1.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Tropical Screech-Owl juv.jpg
    Tropical Screech-Owl juv.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 63
Guiding for the past four days at Las Bromelias (north slope Rincon de la Vieja, excellent site) and then the Poas area gave me these for the year:

548 White-tailed Hawk- two of this uncommon raptor en route to Bromelias.
549 Barred Forest Falcon- brief look at a juvenile.
550 Barred Parakeet- heard near Poas
551 Black Swift- Great looks at Bromelias, same for next species.
552 White-chinned Swift

553 Tody Motmot-great site for this uncommon bird!
554 Bare-crowned Antbird- ditto!
555 Tawny-chested Flycatcher- nice surprise, a rare species.
556 Song Wren
557 Canada Warbler
558 Eastern Kingbird
559 Rufous-winged Tanager- another rare bird from Bromelias.
560 Yellow-billed Cacique

A day of guiding and morning of birding in the well known Dota area turned up a few news birds for the year:

561 Spotted Wood Quail
562 Ruddy Pigeon
563 Dusky Nightjar
564 Buffy Tuftedcheek
565 Torrent Tyrannulet
566 Barred Becard
567 Timberline Wren

Guiding today in foothill rainforest at El Tapir and Quebrada Gonzalez gave me 3 new birds for the year. All are hummingbirds and all are species I have never seen at these sites despite birding them since the early 90s! We also had Snowcap and 9 other hummingbird species, King Vulture, White Hawk, Lattice-tailed Trogon, Blue and gold Tanager, an Eyelash Viper, Spider Monkeys, and so on. A good day.

568 Black-bellied Hummingbird
569 Green-fronted Lancebill
570 Blue-chested Hummingbird

Two more year birds from guiding around Carara National Park:

571 Stub-tailed Spadebill
572 Willow Flycatcher (several passing through right now)

I also probably heard a rare Violaceous Quail Dove near the Bijagual waterfall overlook but it only called once or twice, didn't respond to playback, and didn't call again for absolute confirmation.

150 plus species during one day of guiding around Carara, Cerro Lodge, and Tarcoles but since I have alredy done a lot of birding there this year, I picked up just one new species, but a good one:

573 Long-tailed Woodcreeper

I heard a couple of Crested (Spot-bellied) Bobwhites during a morning walk. They ended up being my first for the year.

574 Spot-bellied Bobwhite

Two new year birds today at La Marta, a reserve with foothill forest and lots of nice birds.

575 was a tame Sunbittern that strolled around the camping area.
576 was Ashy-throated Bush Tanager, an uncommon taxon and possible split from Andean birds.

Recent birding in the highlands and around Virgen del Socorro gave me a few new species:

578 Sulphur-winged Parakeet
579 Scaly-throated Foliage-gleaner
580 Sedge Wren

Slowly but surely adding more birds to the year list. Three recent days of guiding gave the following:

581 Great Green Macaw- at least 7 near Braulio Carrillo National Park.
582 Snowy Cotinga- near La Selva.
583 Tropical Mockingbird- surprise bird near the house.

A weekend of birding at Rancho Mastatal and Cangreja National Park gave two nice new species for the year. It seems that this underbirded site is the most reliable, nearest place to San Jose for the following two species:

584 Costa Rican Brush Finch- At least 4 heard and 2 seen of this local species.
585 Turquoise Cotinga- Our group was very pleased to see two different males on Saturday morning and another male right at Rancho Mastatal on Sunday! This is a tough species with few reliable sites for it.

A search by ferry on Sunday for El Nino birds didn't result in any new country birds or crazy records but we did see a few pelagics and more Blue-footed Boobies than normal along with year birds:

587 Wedge-rumped Storm-Petrel- several and even a few possibly from shore.
588 Black Storm-Petrel- a few.
589 Blue-footed Booby- at least a dozen and a high count for any time of the year in CR.
590 Common Tern
591 Black Tern
592 Mangrove Hummingbird- at a stop in the Caldera mangroves on the way home.

Also one other addition from guiding in cloud forests near San Ramon:
593 Tawny-throated Leaftosser

Last night, a Striped Owl (bird 594 for the year) called and made a pass by a street light in front of the house!

Went to Chomes yesterday in search of shorebirds and El Nino rarities. No megas but did pick up a new country bird and 3 year birds:

595 Long-billed Curlew: An overdue country tick because a couple show up every year. Nice, close looks!
596 American Oystercatcher: Several of these in Chomes. First time I have seen the species there.
597 Elegant Tern: Great looks at several roosting birds.

Last edited:
5 new birds from 4 days of guiding in the Osa Peninsula at lovely Luna Lodge:

598 Thick-billed Euphonia
599 White-vented Euphonia
600 Marbled Wood-Quail
601 Crested Owl
602 Pearl Kite

Three new year birds from guiding in the Volcan Arenal area. Very birdy area with good tourism infrastructure.

603 Fasciated Tiger-Heron
604 Western Wood-Pewee
605 Uniform Crake

Users who are viewing this thread

Back