• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aves sp. (1 Viewer)

Hmmm....the wings look too short for Yellow Warbler. I suspect it's an escape but I've no idea of what or from where!

Dave

The only thing that (reluctantly) springs to mind is a white-eye (Zosterops) though this does not resemble any white-eye I have ever seen-far too grey.

If the plant with the berries is Cornus alba, it should be about blue tit size.

Rasmus , I know what you mean, apart from the grey I also wasn´t too happy with the eyering of this bird; it didn´t look neat enough for the white-eye species I have seen in captivity in Europe.

The only eastern NW warbler that would even remotely spring to mind for me with that coloration is the eastern orange-crowned celata sup-species but then the eye-ring and lack of supercilium would appear to rule that out - if we were entering the world of fantasy the next best I could offer would be one of the western vermivora or juvie bachman's ;)

It looks to me as if there is some abnormal pigmentation. There are isolated olivey feathers on the mantle, so I wonder if these are the "true" colour.

Rob

Is the prominence of the eye-ring real or a photographic artifact?

Shape & bill isn't totally wrong for Tarsiger cyanurus...

However, according to my knowledge imm's of this species always are much browner (making the white throat stand out) and have at least a hint of the orange-brown flanks. Can't see tail on the photos I have been able to access.

Last edited:
Hi,
From the eastern part of the world perspective, this bird reminds me of a Babbler species, something like a Fulvetta perhaps. Also, it appears that fruit is part of the diet, eliminating many contenders. But for all I know, this bird could be from another part of the world.
Sumit
p.s. New pic rules out Fulvetta but reminds me of Sibia and Bulbul.

Last edited:
The swedish discussions are more and more turning into the eastern direction of the world. Some thoughts about fulvetta and babblers are welcome into the disussion.
/Micke

Hi all , found this photo on the web ( all credits to the photographer ) looks nearly right but the bill is a different colour and eyering not so extensive

Attachments

• White eyed slaty flycatcher.jpg
    White eyed slaty flycatcher.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 431
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back