• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Emberiza ID in Algeria (1 Viewer)

jynxtorquilla

Dear all,

Could you plz help me identifying this Emberiza.

Is it an E. cirlus or E. citrinella?

Thanks for your answer

Imad

Attachments

• emberiza.jpg
    emberiza.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 150
Agree with Cirl for the points that Lou mentions - rump does look remarkably rufous but bearing in mind Yellowhammer is a major rarity in Algeria, it could even be a first if it was one.....?

Last edited:
rump is grey but these are uppertail coverts which can be rusty in cirl bunting.
you actually can see part of its greenish-greyish rump above the crossing of the wings.

Reddish rump, pale patch on nape and diffuse streaks on flank make it a Yellowhammer for me. That is why I was confused beside that the species is very rarely seen in north Africa but there were some records in Morocco for instance.
Thanks

On a close look at this bird, (which is interesting!) I'm still convinced with Cirl Bunting - however the uppertail coverts are rich toned and would nomally mean Yellowhammer. If one looks at the rump showing between the tertails it is grey - not showing any of the rufous on the upper tcs. As Lou pointed out the chestnut scapulars are very pro Cirl - diagnostic I think. Also, apart from distinct head pattern the bill shape looks better for Cirl to me - rather heavy and a straighter or slightly convex upper mandible. Not sure of the age/sex of the bird - but think ad. female, though not sure even after reading the docs below :-O:

http://aulaenred.ibercaja.es/wp-content/uploads/445_CirlBuntingEcirlus.pdf

https://aulaenred.ibercaja.es/wp-content/uploads/444_Emberiza_citrinella.pdf

Look at the ad. female Cirl on page 8, the uppertail coverts are distinctly brown toned, not so grey.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back