• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

N Greece. Birds at sea (2 Viewers)

testoduro

December- I would like to have these birds' ids confirmed. I'll have a try:
A: Caspian Gull, (although its bill seems to me a bit small and the eye too large for a CG).
B and C: Horned Grebes?
D and E: Black-necked Grebe? It looks like it caught its mouth with a fishing lure of sorts, but in pic E the line rather looks like a thorny branch. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    661.9 KB · Views: 83
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    482.6 KB · Views: 81
  • C.jpg
    C.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 74
  • D.jpg
    D.jpg
    771.8 KB · Views: 67
  • E.jpg
    E.jpg
    452.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Adult Yellow-legged Gull, and all the grebes are Black-necked.
Thanks Steve. I just found A a bit too dark for a YLG.

And regarding B I thought I recognized some Horned Grebe features: clear contrast black-white in its face, back of head pointed upwards, flat forehead, a bit of an elongated body shape...

This bird identifying game is hard indeed! :giggle:

Yes, not always as straightforward as it could be. But then it would not be so challenging and enjoyable.
Generally adult Yellow-legged Gull is a darker grey than Caspian Gull. And the small grebes can look odd depending how they are holding their heads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back