• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Today was JayDay-QTVideo (1 Viewer)

alarson2

The Village Vidiot
Today was Jay day but they had to defend against a hoarde of doves. I never saw so many doves- they were here all day- I had to run them off a couple times so the other birds could get close to the feeder. They must have eaten 10 pounds of seed. I had to refill the feeder twice. I don't blame the bluejays for being rude. I was feeling a little bit used myself by the time they finally went away. Pheww. OK- that said, the jays were fantastic today- there were four on the feeder at once. I have a segment of tape that shows that but I want to make a separate video devoted to just the jays of today. They are being very social and communal right now- they must have that "all one big happy family" mind set going. Hormones. That's what it is. Anyway, please enjoy this little video. It is a bit over 3 minutes @ 6+mb.

JayDay

Terrific video again, Alan. I've never seen so many doves! The bluejays had their work cut out for them.

And thanks for throwing my favourites in there too. ;) Much appreciated.

They are my favorites too. You're welcome. There was a moment yesterday when there were four bluejays on the feeder, all banging away, and a little female cardinal came and landed on the out-perch and stayed for a minute maybe thinking whether or not to try to bust up all those rude boys and get herself a bite- after a while she just flew off. Must have thought better of it. There was a lot of competition yesterday. It's tough to get a sunflower seed around here.

Thanks for you comments.

Wan2caTanager said:
Wow, you have very aggressive Blue Jays! Nice video! |=)|
Thank you, I'm glad you liked it!!

You know, the jays are aggressive but, all the birds out there are aggressive in their own ways. The doves are downright nasty to each other and they will force another bird off the feeder in a NewYork minute. And even the cardinals will bump another bird off the feeder if they are in the mood. Really, anything goes and, the good thing, nobody ever gets hurt. I mean the birds will bluff, boss, and push each other around, but nobody ever kills anybody else over a sunflower seed.

Thank you for your comments on my video.

Hey, in that video clip.... a dove even chased off a bluejay. THAT surprised me! But I thought, good for him! ;)
It's always interesting to watch the bluejays around here when a hairy woodpecker is on the feeder. They have similarly sized beaks and are about the same size physically as well. You never know who will chase away who!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back