• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello! (1 Viewer)

It took me a long time, but I finally understood why so many folks love the birds. I took this Spring to slow down and sit on our deck and do wordle's. Well... I discovered the birds - and - continued the wordle's!

Haven't been birding yet, but very much enjoy watching them in our backyard. Working on understanding what they like to eat! We have two feeders and a plate full of black oil sunflower seeds and a few peanuts here and there. (I just checked and one pile of peanuts is gone and the other is disappearing. grin)

I've seen the birds waiting their turn at the feeder, fighting a bit for the seeds, chasing off another bird, and up to seven of the mourning doves cleaning up the dropped seeds and then "lazing" around for a 10-15 minute siesta afterward.

Love their flyby's! Some of them think they are fighter pilots. You know, with beautiful turns. The blue-jay has a very cool turn. The mourning doves are lyrical in flight and the little guys (don't know who they are) can pick up a seed swifter than any other and then fly off with it. I could go on.

Anyway, I have LOTS and LOTS to learn, so I plan to be quiet from here on out. But, I love the Birds. Also, enjoy poetry.

Here's one for you:

“Hope” is the thing with feathers
BY EMILY DICKINSON

“Hope” is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -
And sings the tune without the words -
And never stops - at all -
And sweetest - in the Gale - is heard -
And sore must be the storm -
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm -
I’ve heard it in the chillest land -
And on the strangest Sea -
Yet - never - in Extremity,
It asked a crumb - of me.

I look forward to being part of this forum. From what I've gleaned it's a pretty exciting place to be! Tons of knowledge.

And, no, I'm usually NOT this long-winded! :)

Last edited:
LOL

Hi Bluesy-Riff and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. That's a really lovely poem, thanks for posting it.

The ones that grab a seed and fly off sounds like what our tits do here.... so perhaps your birds are one (or more) of the chickadee species.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

LOL

Hi Bluesy-Riff and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. That's a really lovely poem, thanks for posting it.

The ones that grab a seed and fly off sounds like what our tits do here.... so perhaps your birds are one (or more) of the chickadee species.

Thank you! :)

LOL

Hi, welcome to the forum; I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. You don’t have to go out and hunt for the birds, enjoying them in your back yard is enough. If you do decide to go out and find them, it is even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back