• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying Camera From The States? (1 Viewer)

I've just collected some microscope objectives from the Parcel Force depot. Cost was $240 (about £120) plus $36 shipping (about (£18) making about £138. The total tax payable was £52 comprising £28.44 VAT (more than 20%), £10.20 import duty and £13.50 Parcel Force Clearance Fee (almost as much as the shipping from Texas to England). So, the tax amounts to 38%.

Outrageous IMO.

Oh, and I had to drive 25 miles to Milton Keynes to collect them because I gave my home address to the seller, and I am at work during the day.

These days almost all chargers and power supplies work on any voltage from 110 to 230. Plugs are different, but that's easily solved.

Last summer I took a vacation to Europe and took my D50 Just bought a foreign plug adaptor for $20 before going the charger is a dual voltage type and all worked well

You might be right, but I'm not convinced.

We pay plenty of income tax. Let's assume an annual income of £30,000 (£40,000). You will receive £22,089.10 (£29,273.60) after tax. There is approx 5K tax free income, then tax rises to 40% above thresholds.

We also pay 17.5% VAT on most items, and fuel attracts silly tax. Assuming 95p per litre (we now pay about 10p more), then 63.7p of that is tax. There are other taxes: road tax, tax on insurance, tax on bank interest (40% for a higher rate tax payer), tax on capital gains (40% for a higher rate tax payer) and so on.

Of course a lot of people have two sets of books, or take cash in hand. In some areas that is commonplace.
Not to continue hijacking this thread and I apologize ahead of time to everyone else. What's property tax like in the UK? Each year American home owners pay, in addtion to the other taxes mentioned, an average of $5000 in property taxes. Then there are the state and local taxes.

Not to continue hijacking this thread and I apologize ahead of time to everyone else. What's property tax like in the UK? Each year American home owners pay, in addtion to the other taxes mentioned, an average of $5000 in property taxes. Then there are the state and local taxes.

Cripes. :(

We pay council tax and the amount depends on both the property type, and the area. In the area where I live (Bedfordshire) the amounts vary between £1,000 and £3,000, and almost everyone pays between £2,000 ($4,000) and £3,000 ($6,000).

We do not pay tax when we sell our main place of residence, but if we die, then anything over about £260,000 in the total estate value is taxed at 40%.

I feel a tad responsible a it was my earlier comment which triggered the tangent thread...... My friend as UK resident sold up quite some time ago and moved and married in the US, when I was in Philidelphia visiting in 2006 she was in the process of moving so had a conversation on the cost of living, she won the debate hands down but it varyies from state to state unlike the UK, gotta say she is taxed more than I am

Well I think the main question has been answered, namely that taking into account taxes and shipping, it is not worth buying a D300 from the US, unless you are there on a visit, and do not declare it on your return.

And I'm sure I read on a notice at the Parcel Force depot in Milton Keynes that presents sent from overseas are subject to tax.

I've just collected some microscope objectives from the Parcel Force depot. Cost was $240 (about £120) plus $36 shipping (about (£18) making about £138. The total tax payable was £52 comprising £28.44 VAT (more than 20%), £10.20 import duty and £13.50 Parcel Force Clearance Fee (almost as much as the shipping from Texas to England). So, the tax amounts to 38%.

The VAT is correct at 17.5% - you also pay it on the clearance fee and on the duty (so you are being taxed on your taxes).

Well I think the main question has been answered, namely that taking into account taxes and shipping, it is not worth buying a D300 from the US, unless you are there on a visit, and do not declare it on your return.

And I'm sure I read on a notice at the Parcel Force depot in Milton Keynes that presents sent from overseas are subject to tax.

In fear of opening up a moral / legal thread I notice that HK sellers on EBay are now shipping D300s at sub £1000 prices inc shipping, Nikon Warranty and no duty to pay (yeah I know so don't shoot the messanger)

In fear of opening up a moral / legal thread I notice that HK sellers on EBay are now shipping D300s at sub £1000 prices inc shipping, Nikon Warranty and no duty to pay (yeah I know so don't shoot the messanger)

Yeah but you can get them for £1060 in the UK with a proper warranty. As far as I know the Nikon warranty is not valid in the UK. (Despite the lies from one HK seller.)

You can buy the D300 in Britain now for less than £1000.
Interesting comments as I am currently about to buy a big lens from someone somewhere !
I find it hard to believe that a $7000 dollar ( plus local tax which can't be that much in NY) lens becomes $10500 over here !
An holiday to go with the purchase would keep my o/h happy too !

If you mean carrying one back in to the UK after a US trip you will be liable for the import tax n vat upon entry....... be careful
As for D300 prices it seems that there is now only £90.00 between the far east and the UK, about time that we were able to buy on an equal platform..... and yes the warranty is invalid as it is with all Nikon digital gear (but not lenses) which is why buying in the US for export normally warrants a 3rd party warranty from Mack buts thats another thread

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back