• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best tripod head for attaching/detaching a camera from the scope (2 Viewers)

YNMN

United States
I am planning to replace my current system (Nikon ED60mm scope + old Velbon long rail + small Gimbal head (see the attached pic)+ Sony RX100m2) to Swarovski STX85 + Canon APSC camera (EOS R7). I will continue to use my RRS TFC34 MK2 tripod.
Although my current gimbal (weighs only 850g) gives a very smooth adjustment of my Nikon scope (a large improvement from my old Gitzo GH1720QR fluid head), it is not Arca Swiss compatible and it is extremely difficult to add or remove a camera (it is a side side-mount gimbal). As a birder, I normally find birds of interest without a camera, and then occasionally I want to take pictures (or videos) by attaching a camera, and then go back to observations without a camera. My goal is to minimize the stress of camera attachment/detachment. I have been shopping for a fluid gimbal head that can accommodate a pan bar. So far I found these: Gitzo GHFG1, Swarovski PTH, Zinelli Carbon ZV. My current favorite is Zinelli ZV due to the small size and light weight compared with GHFG1 and PTH. The CEO of the company is very responsive to my inquires, but since it is a relatively new product (March 2022) (Products Archives - zenelli), I cannot find many reviews by birders/digiscopers. Then yesterday I found this website (Alpha Digiscoping Blog) in one of the threads of this forum. In the downloaded book, Jerry Jourdan says he prefers a two-way fluid head (he uses Manfrotto XPRO fluid two-way head) or a video head over gimbal because of the ease of adding/removing the camera. This has made me wonder if I should get one of these heads instead of a gimbal. I see a video like this (
) in which a video head is used with a balance rail (old Swaro rail) that allows a smooth camera attachment/detachment, and wonder if this is possible with a gimbal head, too. I also wonder if, in general, fluid two-way heads will give as smooth movement of the scope compared with a gimbal (my only experience in the comparison is between my current gimbal head and GH1720QR).

What is your thought? If you recommend a fluid two-way head over a gimbal, which heads would you suggest? I prefer something that is not too heavy (ideally less than 1kg) and allows very smooth control. I am also considering whether I should get Swarovski Balance Rail BR instead of other long rails (e.g., ProMediaGear 8" Arca-type Double Dovetail Plate or Kirk LRP-3). Does the Swaro balance rail mitigate the potential issue of using gimbal head for attaching/detaching a camera and also provide more stability, which is essential for digiscoping? Thank you for your advice.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-07-23 at 8.37.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-23 at 8.37.02 AM.png
    806.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Maybe you would like to have a look at what this company has to offer. I always find their products to be of the highest quality, both in engineering and materials.

Maybe you would like to have a look at what this company has to offer. I always find their products to be of the highest quality, both in engineering and materials.
Thank you. I saw the website. They do not have a single gimbal or a 2-way fluid head but have a nice rail for attaching a camera to a scope. It is a bit long, though.

One of the Berlebach video heads or the good old Manfrotto 500AH. Note that Berlebach uses ARCA Swiss, and Manfrotto the PL-501 plates (which I prefer over Arca Swiss anytime.)

Hermann

One of the Berlebach video heads or the good old Manfrotto 500AH. Note that Berlebach uses ARCA Swiss, and Manfrotto the PL-501 plates (which I prefer over Arca Swiss anytime.)

Hermann
Thank you. They both seem to be very good. Is counterbalancing important for this type of heads? I am still wondering if anyone is using a gimbal for digiscoping and has thoughts on this combination.

For a long time I digiscoped with an Induro GHB2 gimbal supporting my ATX95. My ATX sits on the original version ATX Swaro balance rail with a long arca plate bolted to it (the old BR did not have the integrated dovetail). Overall it worked very well, and being able to balance it completely was great. But it did show more vibration than I would've liked when digiscoping video. Even though the scope sits low over the tripod, the moment arm for vibration is still very long up and back down the gimbal.

I have used the suggested Manfrotto 500AH, after I adapted it to arca by putting a clamp on the manfrotto plate. It worked fine, but it doesn't have fully adjustable drag. You can partially tighten the locks, but the fluid movement isn't adjustable. I switched to the Manfrotto 502 which has fully adjustable drag in both directions. The drag can be reduced enough to allow completely free movement, so you can use it with normal camera/lens and follow birds in flight freely. It lacks the balance of the gimbal like this, but it is doing double duty.

Both of the video heads are better for vibration dampening than the gimbal. I did the same cheap arca adaptation to the 502, but there is a replacement top you can get to properly convert it. The 502 is 1.7 kg, which may disqualify it for you.

(Correction: acratech) has a few 2-axis heads that might work as well, which I have considered buying, but haven't yet.

For a long time I digiscoped with an Induro GHB2 gimbal supporting my ATX95. My ATX sits on the original version ATX Swaro balance rail with a long arca plate bolted to it (the old BR did not have the integrated dovetail). Overall it worked very well, and being able to balance it completely was great. But it did show more vibration than I would've liked when digiscoping video. Even though the scope sits low over the tripod, the moment arm for vibration is still very long up and back down the gimbal.

I have used the suggested Manfrotto 500AH, after I adapted it to arca by putting a clamp on the manfrotto plate. It worked fine, but it doesn't have fully adjustable drag. You can partially tighten the locks, but the fluid movement isn't adjustable. I switched to the Manfrotto 502 which has fully adjustable drag in both directions. The drag can be reduced enough to allow completely free movement, so you can use it with normal camera/lens and follow birds in flight freely. It lacks the balance of the gimbal like this, but it is doing double duty.

Both of the video heads are better for vibration dampening than the gimbal. I did the same cheap arca adaptation to the 502, but there is a replacement top you can get to properly convert it. The 502 is 1.7 kg, which may disqualify it for you.

(Correction: acratech) has a few 2-axis heads that might work as well, which I have considered buying, but haven't yet.
Thank you very much for your helpful insight. The Arcatech head (this one? Tripod Head for Long Lens - Acratech) also seems interesting. You do not mind not having a pan bar on the head though?

Thank you very much for your helpful insight. The Arcatech head (this one? Tripod Head for Long Lens - Acratech) also seems interesting. You do not mind not having a pan bar on the head though?
That is the one I was referring to, but as I said, I never purchased. I was happy enough with the 502 (for now). I did also consider their video head. It has a pan bar, and with the ball locked it looks like it would act just like the long lens support, and give you a ball head too when you want it. It looked even more cool, but I didn't buy that either. With any 2-axis these options, I do prefer a tripod with a bowl for leveling adjustments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back