• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with straight apo televid 77? (1 Viewer)

tima

Hello everybody,

I am quite new in this hobby and I have learned so much thanks to this forum
One thing I am wondering is if I can do Digiscoping with my straight view APO 77 (with an adapter 2 from Leica + Zoom20X60X + Coolpix 5000). Every digiscoper seems to use an Angled body to do that. More stable connection probabely?
I haven't yet the adapter and will not buy it if it does not work. Any information or experience welcome.

Tima
Brussels, Belgium

Hello everybody,

I am quite new in this hobby and I have learned so much thanks to this forum
One thing I am wondering is if I can do Digiscoping with my straight view APO 77 (with an adapter 2 from Leica + Zoom20X60X + Coolpix 5000). Every digiscoper seems to use an Angled body to do that. More stable connection probabely?
I haven't yet the adapter and will not buy it if it does not work. Any information or experience welcome.

Tima
Brussels, Belgium

I have this scope, but I don't digiscope. The only problem you are likely to encounter is that you'll have to rise the tripod a bit higher for comfortable focussing. So if you need to extend the center column a bit higher, that means you may get more blurs due to tripod instability. But the main reason for all the angled scopes you read about, is that they have become fashionable for birding. The pros and cons of the two models have been discussed extensively on BF.

All my scopes are straight view, Leica APO 77 included. I find no problem digisicoping with them. On the contrary, I find it (for me) more difficult to digiscope with an angled scope.

Ok, thanks for the reply,

will try with the leica's adapter and also have to change the coolpix 5000 for something faster, lighter and with better batteries (the P5100).
Straight view was also more "natural" for me, but when Ibought the scope I did not think about digiscoping.

PS : I have owned 2 differents Zoom , the first one was 4year old and I could not use mag over 45x because of quality breakdown (sharpness and brightness) but the new one (02/2008) is a lot more performing in all area and finaly use on some sunny days the zoom up to 60x and it's maintains sharpness edge to edge; I was impressed by such quality difference.
The real question is was the first one defect or did they dramaticly improved the optical performances.

Happy Birding to you

I have had much success using this scope and adapter and the Panasonic FX33 which is a newer iteration of the Leica for which the adapter was designed.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back