• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (8 Viewers)

At least three more Wheatears on hillsides downstream from Porter's Mill - obviously passing through the county in good numbers at the moment.

Tree Pipit over Tapenhall fishing pool called twice.

Another Wheatear in a ploughed field taking the days total to at least 5 - easily the most I've seen on the patch.

Little Egret flew over Tapenhall in the direction of Grimley.

A very decent weekend on the patch!

In addition to the 6+ Wheatears, 2+ Whinchats, Stonechat (patch tick), Tree Pipit, Yellow Wagtail and 2 Little Egrets, the best of the rest were as follows:

Little Owl usual place near Ladywood
Immature male Kestrel
Hobby seen from Coney Meadow yesterday
Sparrowhawk
2+ Lesser Whitethroats
Common Whitethroat
Reed Warblers
Kingfishers
Grey Herons
Buzzards
Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers
2 Coal Tits
Nuthatch
Meadow Pipits - first I've seen this autumn
Ravens
Water Rail calling from reedbed
Jays
Goldcrests
Chiffchaffs
Blackcaps
Coot
Swallows and House Martins
Reed Buntings

Insects included Holly Blue, Migrant and Southern Hawkers, Common Darters and lots of Hornets.

A couple of crappy record shots (digi-binned):

Wheatear on wires this morning near Salwarpe
Whinchat on fence yesterday, 'Copcut Rise' area

Attachments

• Wheatear Salwarpe.jpg
    Wheatear Salwarpe.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Whinchat Copcut Rise Fields.jpg
    Whinchat Copcut Rise Fields.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 53
Birds Eye views from Salwarpe

All

Some birds eye (well, if they were resting on top of the Church flagpole that is) views from Salwarpe over the surrounding areas - taken on Friday evening. Can't quite see the reedbed due to the trees.

Noted a total of 41 tortoiseshell butterflies resting in the tower staircase on my ascent.

Cheers

Triturus

;)

Attachments

• 20140905_193518.jpg
    20140905_193518.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 20140905_193701.jpg
    20140905_193701.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20140905_193639.jpg
    20140905_193639.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 42
Two Whinchats still present this evening on barbed wire fence at Copcut Rise. Record shots below taken in the gathering gloom.

I heard the distinctive call of a Tree Pipit and I was looking up until I realised that it, too, was on the fence - pink legs, finer streaking on flanks relative to breast, relatively strong face pattern and pumping tail.

A few Meadow Pipits were also flushed from the long grass. No sign of the Stonechat this evening though.

Attachments

• Whinchat Copcut.jpg
    Whinchat Copcut.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Whichat Copcut 2.jpg
    Whichat Copcut 2.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 62
A couple of extra items I forgot to mention for the weekend:

Marsh Frog calling from Tapenhall fishing pool on Sunday
A flock of 7 Cormorants flying distantly seen from Tapenhall on Sunday and a couple of singles seen in flight over / from the patch also.

More Whinchat Action

Couldn't resist going for these little beauties again this evening - they are one of my fave species. The light was a little better this evening so the record shots are a bit more respectable. Both still present till dusk.

And I couldn't resist taking a shot of the beautiful Harvest Moon - a pretty special one as it's a Harvest Supermoon - having waxed to full less than a day after lunar perigee - it certainly looked big and impressive.

A few Meadow Pipits were milling about earlier.

Finally, a Little Owl called from Copcut Lane and a Fox was roaming one of the fields.

Attachments

• Whinchat Copcut1.JPG
    Whinchat Copcut1.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Whinchat Copcut2.jpg
    Whinchat Copcut2.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Whinchat Copcut3 (2).jpg
    Whinchat Copcut3 (2).jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Harvest 'Supermoon'.jpg
    Harvest 'Supermoon'.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 47
No sign of any Whinchats this evening - I expect yesterday evening's clear conditions and full moon hastened their departure - after feeding up over the last few days.

I did, however, discover a Wheatear nearby on an area of bare earth cleared for construction. Digi-binned efforts attached:

11 Meadow Pipits flushed from one of the fields.

A Tawny Owl was calling loudly from Salwarpe Court this evening and several large skeins of Gulls headed towards Westwood.

Also Fox and Hornet noted.

Attachments

• Wheatear Copcut Rise.jpg
    Wheatear Copcut Rise.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Wheatear Copcut2.jpg
    Wheatear Copcut2.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 47
Trees full of warblers this evening. Adjacent to the football pitch by the canal before the dual carriageway Droitwich side. Cettis, at least 3, willow warblers 10plus and chiffchaffs galore. Also tits by the hundred, several types and at least one treectreper along with a good flock goldfinches and a few greenfinches. Also of note several flocks of large gulls, most probably herring, LBB and GBB numbering in all 200plus flying over toward Westwood pool. No sign of the Little Egret along that stretch of the Salwarpe though, sadly.

I will have to check out that part of the patch....

Cetti's - very rare in these parts - only recorded twice in the previous 10 years (both winter) and similar levels of occurrence at nearby Westwood.

GBB Gulls don't normally start occurring until later in the year - I only usually see single flyovers (very infrequently) but Wayne et al get several at the Westwood roost (again, usually much later on). I'll ask him if he's had some early ones.

I will have to check out that part of the patch....

Cetti's - very rare in these parts - only recorded twice in the previous 10 years (both winter) and similar levels of occurrence at nearby Westwood.

GBB Gulls don't normally start occurring until later in the year - I only usually see single flyovers (very infrequently) but Wayne et al get several at the Westwood roost (again, usually much later on). I'll ask him if he's had some early ones.

There have been several GBB flying over as they fly over my house towards Westwood. Whether they roost at Westwood or not I'm unsure. They may roost at woodland view on the top pools. I will take more notice over the next few evenings and try and snap a few. I have a theory that they come from the landfill site over near Pershore to roost over here
jst a theory as that always seems to be the general direction they come from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back