• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Namibia Etosha NP - Jan 2019 - 8 (1 Viewer)

Two more to confirm.

1- Looks like a female Bishop or Widowbird but cannot find a distint identification , the closest i get is Fan Tailed Widowbird , yellow Bishop also looks good by in my Sasol , however this is not a area they should be seen.

2-Booted Eagle , buff morpf

Attachments

• bishop.jpg
    bishop.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 36
  • boted s.jpg
    boted s.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
For number one, according to Sasol, the only possibilities in Etosha are Southern Red Bishop and Yellow-crowned Bishop. Yellow-crowned Bishop female has very strong upper chest streaking (some online photos show less) and a dark eyeline; Red female shows weaker streaking and no strong eyeline.

So I would go for female Yellow-crowned Bishop. (I can't add my own photos because I have lots of shots of a male from Kenya, but no female.)

For number one, according to Sasol, the only possibilities in Etosha are Southern Red Bishop and Yellow-crowned Bishop. Yellow-crowned Bishop female has very strong upper chest streaking (some online photos show less) and a dark eyeline; Red female shows weaker streaking and no strong eyeline.

So I would go for female Yellow-crowned Bishop. (I can't add my own photos because I have lots of shots of a male from Kenya, but no female.)

MacNara , i guess you right , just look at my pictures as the specie have been introduced in Portugal around 20 years ago and now it,s common in some areas. ( see pic attached )

Attachments

• llow bishop s.jpg
    llow bishop s.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 8
On the other end , i have now tried to register the yellow bishop in Ebird and does not show up as a common specie , instead the Southern Red Bishop is a regular bird there .
So i wonder if this could be a female red.

Larry , thanks for the attention to the details , you right my mistake as i mean to say Yellow Crowned Bishop , not yellow bishop.
Still Ebird show it as rare in Etosha.

Larry , thanks for the attention to the details , you right my mistake as i mean to say Yellow Crowned Bishop , not yellow bishop.
Still Ebird show it as rare in Etosha.

But it does look good for Yellow-crowned Bishop, especially the facial pattern with pale yellow anterior part to the supercilium. I wouldn't say those two Bishops (the one from Namibia and the one from PT) are necessarily females, they look a bit bulky and could well be eclipse plumaged males (which tend to have brighter head plumage than females, also); the one from PT is certainly an eclipse plumaged bird. The OP Bishop doesn't look very good for Southern Red Bishop (especially the facial pattern, as said).

But it does look good for Yellow-crowned Bishop, especially the facial pattern with pale yellow anterior part to the supercilium. I wouldn't say those two Bishops (the one from Namibia and the one from PT) are necessarily females, they look a bit bulky and could well be eclipse plumaged males (which tend to have brighter head plumage than females, also); the one from PT is certainly an eclipse plumaged bird. The OP Bishop doesn't look very good for Southern Red Bishop (especially the facial pattern, as said).

I guess you right , well i will register it as Yellow-crowned Bishop.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back