• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Replacement Focus Wheel (1 Viewer)

Bob,

I probably should have stated that I like Nikon, especially their higher end products. But I have come to the realization that Zeiss, Swarovski and Meopta all have transferable warranties, and a more clear and defined Warranty program on their sports optics. Nikon, I am afraid does not.

Andy W.

Andy

My question is: Why should a binocular's warranty be transferable? (Unless it is stated so in the Warranty).

I do not know if Zeiss, Swarovski and Meopta have warranties for their products that are transferable and I won't know until after I see the warranty that comes with the binocular I purchase from them. Binocular websites are notoriously unreliable as we all know.

I know that the cost of a warranty is factored into the original selling price of the binoculars that we all purchase.

If you should sell your binocular to someone else will you be factoring what you paid for the warranty into your selling price?

Relying on a "transferable" warranty is a chancy proposition unless it is in writing.

Also, I forgot to mention in my earlier post on this subject that Nikon's replacement option is not limited to the lower priced Nikons.

As I have mentioned in the past, I had a 10x32 EDG I that needed its covering replaced and a new corrugated rubber ring put on its focus wheel. Nikon replaced it with a new EDG II within 2 weeks and I am still using it.

And Nikon replaced a new 8x42 Monarch HG that had a wandering diopter with a brand new binocular within 2 weeks.

That saved me lots of time which would have been required to repair them under warranty.

Perhaps this happens occasionally with other companies that sell Alpha binoculars like Swarovski but one rarely hears about it. Nor do they have many low cost binoculars in their stable like Nikon does that get replaced under warranty.

Bob

Andy

Why should a binocular's warranty be transferable?

Bob

Hi Bob,

IMO, it doesn't need to be. However if in the future you would be in a position to "Resell", a "transferable warranty" certainly wouldn't hurt and probably be in the best interest of both seller and buyer! :t:

I have personal service experiences with Swarovski (SONA), Zeiss (US Sports Optics) and Leupold. Swaro and Zeiss (US NA Services) stated to me if their optic was originally purchased through an authorized North American dealer, then that "Serial #" carries a full lifetime warranty, no matter who owns it (no proof of purchase necessary...just verify the SN with their data base)! Now, this is what I call "transferable"! ;)

Leupold takes it two steps further. ANY Leupold "optical" product has a lifetime\replacement warranty...to the current owner!! Of course, if an optic mnf. adds a "no-fault" feature to their "lifetime\transferable\replacement" warranty practice (ie: Vortex), owner confidence can be high. The key with either Leupold or Vortex (and many others) is...older products being discontinued and\or non-serviceable due to obsolete parts production. Then, they just offer a "replacement" with the latest and greatest similar\equal to the prior model...could be good, but usually is disappointing?!? :-C

Ted

Bob,

With respect to Warranty Nikon does a good job of replacing their mid/low range glass. I own a Nikon HG 8X42, a mid range glass, I also won a couple of EDGs, and SEs. As stated below by Ted -

"older products being discontinued and\or non-serviceable due to obsolete parts production. Then, they just offer a "replacement" with the latest and greatest similar\equal to the prior model...could be good, but usually is disappointing?!?"

So ok, the Warranty is cost is built into the price of a binocular, fine. I should have been more specific to the fixing of an older glass, if Nikon will service a EDG at cost , I am fine with that, but at the moment I do not have that confidence, and will they will try to replace it with what? they no longer make a premium binocular.

I am more interested with how Nikon handles the repair/service of an EDG going forward, the SE,.... (the writing is on the wall it seems). Companies like Zeiss and Swarovski can and do refurbush older glass, even Leica does it on the older BNs or BAs. I also have some Zeiss FLs and I am confident Zeiss will fix and repair them should they need service.
If Nikon just wants to sell mid range/cheaper glass to be replaced, fine ok. If they do not come out with any more upper level glass the replacement policy works.

Andy W.

Bob,

With respect to Warranty Nikon does a good job of replacing their mid/low range glass. I own a Nikon HG 8X42, a mid range glass, I also won a couple of EDGs, and SEs. As stated below by Ted -

"older products being discontinued and\or non-serviceable due to obsolete parts production. Then, they just offer a "replacement" with the latest and greatest similar\equal to the prior model...could be good, but usually is disappointing?!?"

So ok, the Warranty is cost is built into the price of a binocular, fine. I should have been more specific to the fixing of an older glass, if Nikon will service a EDG at cost , I am fine with that, but at the moment I do not have that confidence, and will they will try to replace it with what? they no longer make a premium binocular.

I am more interested with how Nikon handles the repair/service of an EDG going forward, the SE,.... (the writing is on the wall it seems). Companies like Zeiss and Swarovski can and do refurbush older glass, even Leica does it on the older BNs or BAs. I also have some Zeiss FLs and I am confident Zeiss will fix and repair them should they need service.
If Nikon just wants to sell mid range/cheaper glass to be replaced, fine ok. If they do not come out with any more upper level glass the replacement policy works.

Andy W.

Andy,

I don't think you will need to worry about how Nikon handles repairs of the discontinued EDG if they come out with a new Alpha to replace it. They will replace old eligible EDGs with the new one. Nikon just introduced a Golfer's Laser Rangefinder and I have hopes that replacements for the EDGs will come soon.

https://www.nikon.com/news/2018/0515_coolshot_pro_stabilized_01.htm

If Nikon doesn't come out with a new Alpha the EDG will be another obsoleted binocular that becomes part of binocular history. After all, how long should repair parts be available?

The SE is a Porro. All the parts are interchangeable except for the Objective tubes and the Objectives. Repairers will be cannibalizing them for parts for a while but they are collimated with eccentric rings near the objectives. That part will be hard to find and I'd be surprised if Nikon has many in stock.

Leica ran out of parts for the discontinued Leitz Trinovids as they eventually will for the Leica Trinovid BAs and BNs. The same thing will happen with the Zeiss FLs.

Bob

Last edited:
"Leica ran out of parts for the discontinued Leitz Trinovids as they eventually will for the Leica Trinovid BAs and BNs. The same thing will happen with the Zeiss FLs."

I am having a pair of Leitz being repaired as we speak, and The FLs will serve out my time, also my Swaro 15X and my leica UVs, I am not worried about the three European manufacturers.

I still really do like the high end binoculars that Nikon makes, but I am also not holding my breath that they come out with any new premium ones.

Andy W.

"Leica ran out of parts for the discontinued Leitz Trinovids as they eventually will for the Leica Trinovid BAs and BNs. The same thing will happen with the Zeiss FLs."

I am having a pair of Leitz being repaired as we speak, and The FLs will serve out my time, also my Swaro 15X and my leica UVs, I am not worried about the three European manufacturers.

I still really do like the high end binoculars that Nikon makes, but I am also not holding my breath that they come out with any new premium ones.

Andy W.

Andy,

The alpha binoculars you own should last you into your retirement years before they start to wear out!:king:

Bob

Well what can I say, Swarovski service has been exceptional following me sending them into the UK address who then forwarded them onto Austria, they were there just over 2 weeks and they have replaced the thumb wheel as per my request. It also turns out they replaced the outside armour and logo apart from the original rubbing on the black metal they look and feel new! So happy and best of all they charge me £0 not even the postage so I can not recommend them highly enough and thanks for the advice on sending them in

Last edited:
Hi,

yeah, unfortunately Nikon has great optical designers (or has bought their stuff from sb. with great designers in the lower price brackets) but their sports optics marketing department leaves something to be desired - partly understandable if you camera department has many times the annual turnover of the sports optics one...
It works for mass market and midrange bins, but they never managed to really get the wide appreciation the SE or EDG ranges deserved... I don't talk of the super-niche WX mini-series...

Regarding fully transferable, no-fault and lifetime warranties - I'm always amazed how those who offer them in the US can actually make a profit with them - it basically means they have to repair or replace a pair of bins forever, regardless of what you do to it...

In europe, we don't get them - partly because advertising with sth. like this is forbidden as unethical competition because there is always the possibility that they cannot honor the warranty due to for example the company folding... which might be not a big deal for the owner in case of a cheap reseller of chin-bins but less so for a 100 year old optics giant...

PS: according to some stories of Swaro customer service I would have expected a pair of cotton gloves along with the restored bins ;-)

Joachim

Last edited:
...knowing how Swarovski has treated me, other BF members and their great reputation from other user experiences I've read about, keeping your expectations low will just make the outcome that much sweeter...

It also turns out they replaced the outside armour and logo apart from the original rubbing on the black metal they look and feel new! So happy and best of all they charge me £0 not even the postage so I can not recommend them highly enough and thanks for the advice on sending them in

Adam,

Great News! Your story is but another positive testimony affirming the excellent service "business model" that Swarovski practices with Every loyal and appreciative owner! :king:

Ted

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back